Schwinn Moab Mystery Frame.

jbzspace

Retro Newbie
I'm really curious about the 19 inch Schwinn Moab 3 frame that I recently acquired (in the US). I'm wondering if this one might have been built for the European market.

It appears to be a Moab 3 built by Schwinn in 2001. However, it doesn't have the same paint scheme as Moabs in the 2001 paper catalogue or in any Google images.

Other yellow 2001 Moabs have black instead of red banding, and all 2001 Moabs and Homegrowns have an Enlightened seat tube badge. Only 15 and 17 inch Moab 3s and all Moab Discs were yellow with black bands.

Moabs built in 2001 had their Moab model designation on the outside and Schwinn on the inside of the seat stays. This frame has the reverse, 3s on the inside and Schwinn on the outside of the stays.

The frame looks like it had never been ridden....only parts put on at the factory and then removed for ebay sale.

I'm building it to be close to my yellow 2001 Homegrown Comp. nos XTR, XT, nos LX Hollowtech, Titec, and new Avid 5 brakes/levers. , Also an excellent Manitou SX-R that was used on the 2001 Moab 1 and Rocket 88s.....as well Tioga rims and XT hubs left from my Moab 2 disc conversion.

The Moab frame is 3.88 lbs, close to the Homegrown Comp's 3.4 lbs. I'm hoping for a 25.5 to 26 pound build.....with a decent long ride seat and flat Azonic pedals.

Attachments

• Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 1,666
  • Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 1,665
Back