Had car accident, need advice on dealing with claim

d00m

Retro Guru
Right, help me out folks!

On Monday I had my car t-boned by a van, no serious injuries, details exchanged, so reported it to my insurer.

Since then I've had no contact from my insurer (hastings), though the solicitor working on their behalf did contact me and take some details for personal loss/injury etc.

Today I got a letter from the other drivers insurance company (zurich), accepting full responsibility and therefore admitting liability.
In the letter they are inviting me to deal directly with them, which is tempting to be honest, as it means not having to fork out an excess, and hire car is sorted through them.
The worry for me however is that I think it's likely my car is going to be written off as the damage is quite extensive. It seems to me that Zurich would like me to deal with them directly in order to save them on costs, such as using their own repairer and hire company etc, and so I fear they would offer me rock bottom for my car. If they did I doubt I could replace it with a car as safe and well equipped, and I'd basically have no recourse but to accept whatever they offered and try and find the funds to buy something decent again.

It's only a Ford fusion, but it's got a good ncap rating, and is well equipped. The ncap is important, as I have a baby boy :)

Any advice is very much appreciated!

You should use your insurance company. That is what you paid for. Is there a reason not to, like you have a huge excess?

You ought to get replacement value at least.

Play hard.

Having been t-boned too, I left it soely to the insurers. They paid for everything. Despite it being a no fault claim on my part my insurance still went up and up. When I asked why they said 'because you had an accident' ' but it wasn't my fault???' ' yes but you still had an accident'. I changed insurers after that (Swinton).

Glad all is ok but there may be some headaches ahead.

Your insurers are on your side (well they tell you they are), his insurers are not, I would do everything through yours as at least then you have reference points to aim at rather than he said she said over the phone with the opposition

If it is suspected that your car is a total loss then the insurer will instruct a valuation to take place.

Whoever the insurer instructs to value your car will be independent and is likely to be the same person /company regardless of who you chose to go with.

If it is going to be written off and you disagree with the valuation then be prepared for a drawn out process with the insurer!

The valuation should take into account not only condition pre accident but also service history etc, even a full tank of petrol might mean £100 don't forget!!!

the_duke":248tmhaj said:
If it is suspected that your car is a total loss then the insurer will instruct a valuation to take place.

Whoever the insurer instructs to value your car will be independent and is likely to be the same person /company regardless of who you chose to go with.

If it is going to be written off and you disagree with the valuation then be prepared for a drawn out process with the insurer!

The valuation should take into account not only condition pre accident but also service history etc, even a full tank of petrol might mean £100 don't forget!!!
Don't accept the insurer's first offer!
My dear old Dad had an accident (his fault) a couple of years ago, and wrote off his car. Their first offer was £2500, for a mint, one owner low mileage 5 year old Peugeot old fart mobile. Book value was £4500, private sale. His insurers (Saga) used all sorts of excuses as to why his car was so lowly valued; "but that's all you'll get trade in " etc. Absolutely disgraceful the way they tried to diddle an old man. I listened in to one negotiation, and they "needed to know before Christmas, your car will be worth a lot less next year"...

I did some research on Autotrader and Ebay, to show them the "asking" prices of similar cars; not easy given the time of year.
Do some research, factor in recent services, new tyres etc, but you will still get shafted. Expect to pay higher premiums as a result for the next 10 years, and make sure the culprit covers not just your excess, but these as well.
Good luck! You're dealing with the biggest tossers in the entire universe!

Edit: It always make me laugh/hit something, when they offer you "legal cover". The not so small print declares that your legal fees are only covered if your insurer deems your case winnable. In which case, shouldn't they be doing the sueing?

Another point to throw into the mix, the other parties insurer will be the one stumping up the monies, and they dont own any claim to your car (as your insurance company do) so therefore cannot just write it off as they dont have the authority to do so, they can and most likely will tell you its is beyond economic repair, and offer you a 'total loss settlement' this is where they will pay out market value on the car and wash their hands of you!

You will still own the car and it wont be 'written off' its then up to you as to whether you use the money to repair it yourself, or sell it as breaking/spares/damage repairable!

Thats only if they decide its too expensive to repair, they connot say its a write off and take it off you though!

And one more point, be prepared to find that the market value is nowhere near your own personal value of your car, i worked in the motor trade for about ten years and trust me, people's cars are never ever worth what they think (case in point, my own car is a 2003 astra mk4 SXi, it was eight years old when i bought it as a trade in, for £200, it had one owner from new and im the second, it had full maindealer history, almost a full mot and nearly a years tax, granted condition and mileage were factors, but in tip top condition with average miles, it still wouldve only been about £500)

Sorry if ive been the bringer of bad news, just wanted to point a few things out for you, as insurance claims and such, are a veritable minefield!

Back