Tools

Good point, there is one other - they have the skill to use them too! My LBS is good and the mechanic is a very knowledgeable elder cyclist who is a wealth of knowledge after many years on 2 wheels.

I hope to get my headset changed tomorrow by them, then at least i can decide whether it is something i could do if i had the tools.

Thanks for the advice - bed time here - good night

Buy them when you need them. I get Park tools from Amazon (free postage)

The expensive stuff I leave for others to buy and rent their services when needed.

The tool kits might work out a better price than buying everything in them separately, but why bother if you already have a lot of tools, and there will be a lot in the tool kit that you never use...

headset presses and removers are way too expensive for a home mechanic. I use a homemade press and removal tool, and if I can't do the job with those then I take it to the LBS.

as for must-have tools - cable cutters. I have a set of park cutters, they're not the cheapest, but mine are still going strong after over 15 years of more or less constant use.

spanners, allen keys, screwdrivers, etc are all pretty basic. chainwhip and the correct tool for your cassette(s) and/or freewheel(s), but again those are jobs that aren't done too often unless you like changing gear ratios a lot. cone spanners for adjusting hub bearings, chain splitter... For older bikes a torque wrench isn't really necessary, I only got one a few years ago for modern carbon bikes, since they can be a lot more sensitive to over tightening. With a bit of practice and experience you quickly learn how tight bolts need to be.

What about the need for the headset press - buy one or LBS?

Improvise?

001.JPG

Thanks for the responses - i think i will keep my money in my pocket for a while.

Torqueless, Thanks for pic - most interesting i may give that a go.

Don't buy a tool you think you'll never use! Daft as it sounds!!

There are more and more different types of chains on the market and having the correct sized chain de-linker is a must have tool.

Evening Ian,

You did not mention hammers - well done!

I have a chain splitter - 29 years old and still works. Still in box in good condition with instructions (you know what i am like). It works on two sizes of chain, in these modern times, i expect i will need another one to cope with the really narrow chains but i will try 'old faithful' first!

Thanks to all

Back