MOTOR CHAT

Nope, the later ones were waterboxers.

They are an utter pain in the arse to bleed as Jamie says, the radiator is waaay up the front. Top of radiator has a tiny bleed screw that takes ages to bleed out the air.

You raise front end to assist the bleeding but it takes ages with the loss of a small amount of the new coolant.

Jamie.... I am assuming you already know this, but just in case, :cool:

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Co ... ing_system

wasserboxxer

The wasserboxxer, Velo.
Thanks for the link OCP, I have had a look at that, avid member of the 80-90 forum ;)
I had forgotten quite what a PITA it is to bleed, need to finish it this morning as it not taking as much water as I expected. While there is obviously still a bit in the system I thought it would have taken more as I had the main pipes disconnected front and back. Mine is deisel so its usually a bit easier than the petrol jobs. I cant drain my engine, only flush it so thats holds a bit. I stop on the steepest hill near home and bleed the bleed screw to finish off ;)

Jamie

What you say about it not taking as much water as expected is what I thought too when I refilled system. Did the process as directed in 80-90 forum, but even days later I could hear air as it circulated through the radiator when engine was first started. It went away eventually, with a top up of neat anti-freeze.
Unlike the reason/cause for having to do it in the first place. The whole cooling system froze solid during the really cold winter about 3 years ago.
Couldn't understand why until my wife informed me that whenever the system was low she'd topped it up with plain water. :shock: :roll: Whit?????
Anyway she was lucky that when it thawed I was able to drain system, refilled it with water to check for leaks, with just a small weep from radiator. Drained, added Radweld, refilled, bled and all weeps OK.
She won't be adding neat water again that's for sure. She's been telt.

Back