1995 Orange P7 build

Dave hemming had an e3 in dirt not a p7!

I concur, I seem to remember he was sponsored by Stif that year? and I'm sure it was an E3. I also seem to remember he briefly held the bunnyhop record on it too! (although I think he was using SPD's) Lol!

Highly underrated bike the P7, so I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on.

As far as modern running gear, I do this a lot and tend to use SRAM components, as they are tough and s/h they are cheap.

Going through a similar dilemma.

I want to turn mine into something I can ride (quickly-ish) on road. I'd love to be faithful to the original bike. But the reality is, even during the years I rode it regularly, I upgraded/downgraded/replaced stuff along the way.

Yeh, I know what you mean. Would love to do a totally faithful rebuild but the reality is I have a bike's worth of parts lying around the garage that would serve it admirably. Might just stick all that on for now to get it on the road (dirt!) then gradually replace with more period parts.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
the ebay ones are a general guess and to be honest it's better to do it right or it will bug you everytime you look at them. Gil's are worth the pennies

Another vote for stx-rc here or lx. Period stx-rc would be the 7-speed group with cantis, but the group with vees followed fairly soon after and I'm pretty sure many p7 owners would have upgraded. I seem to recall the stx-rc bits with m-something-33 and m-something-36 codes had cantis. Catalogue gallery here will probably confirm when vees became available for stx-rc. Vees would be tempting as frankly they are more powerful and easier to setup...but I know that might be heresy to some on here.

I went for xt vees, riser bars and modern-ish stem with quill converter on my 95 p7, with the drivetrain and other bits being more or less period. If you are looking for any bits to get started let me know. I have two different sets of vees going spare at the moment (stx-rc and ovation) and available for a very reasonable price.

Just had a quick look in the gallery. 95 and 96 stx-rc were very similar, both had cantis and 7-speed as standard...most parts even had the same mc33 codes. Mechs and shifters (and possibly chainset) had mc36 codes for 96. 1997 is the crossover period when there was a choice of either cantis or vees in the group and also choice of 7-speed ig60 cassette and mc36 7 speed combi shifter and brake lever or 8-speed hg cassette with separate 8 speed mc38 shifters and new lever design for vees. Vees had a plain silver finish initially and then had stx-rc logos on them in 1998 (I think).

Cheers for that reply RLY. Very helpful. Think I'm going to go largely 8-spd black LX group. Slightly too late for the frame probably but that's what I've got and it should still sit fairly well with the F+F. (To that end, I need a black LX 8-spd rear mech if anyone has one!)

Interesting that you went for riser bars and a modern stem with a quill converter on yours. I was thinking of that but was concerned it might look a bit out of place. Got any pics of yours?

Might be interested in those STX-RC Vs. How much were you looking for? Got some Avids I was going to put on but they're a bit of mish-mash.

UPDATE:

It's with a heavy heart that I am abandoning this project and putting it up for sale. My other two bikes both need repairs simultaneously so I need to raise some funds.

If anyone's interested, PM me. I'm looking for £95 posted for frame, fork, stem, headset and cranks. Offers considered.

Back