Hello - can anyone help me date my bike?

AquaTJ

Retro Newbie
Hello :D
I am new to this site and wonder if anyone can help me put a rough decade on my old Hercules Balmoral bike. It doesn't have all it's original components and the original gearing is not present ( the rear wheel has been changed so no clue there )
I haven't been able to find any serial number list to check the numbers against but I imagined it to be after 1960. It doesn't appear well cared for so might not be that old. The frame number is 4480586 and on the seatpost it says 83529JJ - it is burgundy in colour and all the other ones I have seen in this colour are 60s dated whereas the 70s ones all seem to be green.
If anyone can point me in the right direction of where to look I would be very grateful, I'm not trying to make it original again, it's a bit too tatty for that kind of effort and expense but it's quirky with a coaster brake and I like it so would be good to know how long it's been around.
It doesn't have a full chainguard, any help would be appreciated - thanks :)

If it's clearly a Raleigh then 1960 on would be right. You may be able to compare it with catalogues. Previously probably made in Phillips factory.
When you can show some pictures details like head lugs, bottom bracket , seat lug and fork ends can help.
Keith

Back