Anyone know anything about this Carlton?

spatuluk":1wi2zdrx said:
As far as I can tell, this all started because of the term 'gas pipe'? :?

Gas pipe isn't a dirty word.. it's just what lots of people call no-frills tubing. Personally, I prefer 'gas pipe' over 'Tru-Wel'. Whoever named it 'Tru-Wel' was obviously a man with little imagination, but at least it's better than '18-23'.. :p

+1

Love my gas-piped bikes... :)

Thank you spatuluk and hazeyblue.

I don't believe, unless you took an exceptionally coloured look at my post, what I said inferred that it was rubbish, something I clarified in my second post.

And I would agree it does look like a Stadium, so once again, oh look, I was right.

I'll leave it be now, OK?

FWIW I think it would make a lovely bike, but putting flat bars on a bike designed for drops can make it handling interesting. As mentioned I have done this and only rode that bike a few times before selling it as I didn't like how it handled.

I too have what I would term gas-pipers in the garage, including a modern one (a On-One InBred 29er) which I ride probably 95% of the time.

Dead Rats":3a4p33be said:
Aren't standard Inbreds 4130 cromo, ie not gas-pipe? :p

You know what, I could have sworn it was SB, but looking again (I have the 29er swap out frame) it is 4130 DB, you are right.
:oops:

Bad example, there are other bikes in the garage that are nothing special (Elswick Turbo12 is one of them), but I still love riding.

tiermat":ossd6ivr said:
Dead Rats":ossd6ivr said:
Aren't standard Inbreds 4130 cromo, ie not gas-pipe? :p

You know what, I could have sworn it was SB, but looking again (I have the 29er swap out frame) it is 4130 DB, you are right.
:oops:

Bad example, there are other bikes in the garage that are nothing special (Elswick Turbo12 is one of them), but I still love riding.

just standing up for the Inbred! :D

me too actually, my high-tensile singlespeed road hack gets the most use of all my bikes and as such I can throw it around more confidently than my DB 4130 Surly as well as my 853 Inbred.

I believe there are some people who prefer riding steel. Something to do with vibrations or flex or something. I dunno - I'm deffo not an expert!

I came across a Sheldon Brown forum post yesterday, where he pointed out that 80% of the weight of a bike is the rider. It doesn't matter what it's made of - it's whether you enjoy riding it or not. :)

spatuluk":vjepqkn0 said:
I believe there are some people who prefer riding steel. Something to do with vibrations or flex or something. I dunno - I'm deffo not an expert!

I came across a Sheldon Brown forum post yesterday, where he pointed out that 80% of the weight of a bike is the rider. It doesn't matter what it's made of - it's whether you enjoy riding it or not. :)

its all true! :D

there was a great programme on BBC TV recently about how metals originated incidentally.

Still plenty of life left in the old machine. Well worth a spruce up. 1977-78 sounds about right, could be a Competition model, not sure if they made them in blue, the ones Ive seen are a rather fetching mauve.

spatuluk":a9kabm0l said:
As far as I can tell, this all started because of the term 'gas pipe'? :?

Gas pipe isn't a dirty word.. it's just what lots of people call no-frills tubing. Personally, I prefer 'gas pipe' over 'Tru-Wel'. Whoever named it 'Tru-Wel' was obviously a man with little imagination, but at least it's better than '18-23'.. :p

I prefer Tru-Wel, or just steel frame!

Gas piping - oh no!! :facepalm:

Back