28-spoke wheels

gradeAfailure

Senior Retro Guru
So, I need a new rear rim for the Yo as the original back wheel was stolen and it now has a single-skinned Ritchey Vantage, but the only Mavic 231s I've been able to find are 28-hole.

Anyone running 28-spoke wheels, and how do you find they hold up? I'm 6' and about 13st8lbs, but I ride fairly lightly.

Alternatively, can anyone suggest a period replacement for the 231 that's more readily available in 32-hole?

Cheers guys!

Rims, mmm.

Rims have an odd status,

I feel that consumable items should be exempt from the pursuit of retronesss, tyres for instance, but technically most of the bike will wear out and is therefore consumable!

Rims do wear out, if I replaced my Mavic 117 SUP's today I would try to find the modern equivilant, rather than a 2nd hand rim, it's my jaw after all!

New old stock 231cd's are the ultimate goal of course, any one got any?

Rims wear out quickest with wet muddy pad scraping them, the easy option is to ride leafy dry singletrack in the summer :D

i've got a pair of 231 cds on some hope hubs. not sure the hubs are any good... will post a pic if anyone is interested, but the rims are in good nick because the hubs have disk mounts. pretty sure they are 32 hole if you're interested.

I can understand wanting retro tyres. but rims, b.brackets (did anyone like cup & cone BBs?) chains etc I'll spec new stuff everytime :)

I wouldn't be too bothered by specing old rims, unless your going all out for original spec. If the modern stuff looks ok, works well, and even makes the bike more usuable, then go for it. I put V brakes on the Ritchey to get more out of it.

I ride 24 front and 28 rear Chris King hubs laced two cross to Mavic Crossride ceramic rims, they've been spot on, but i'm only ten stone

If it's a rider I'd agree with others here, go for new rims if you want, you can always take the stickers off! Same goes for b/b and bars - I'd sooner not ride a 12 year old piece of superlight aluminium.

If you're bother about it being fully original you'll have to wait clearly!

Back