*** 1995 Orange P7 restoration *** NOW FINISHED

Something to :D about.

My best'est buddy and mtb wingman since 1995 has sold me his lovely Orange Clockwork (frame number gives a birth date of March 1994).

Thanks Gareth, you're ace, mate.

The Clockwork is to all intents and purposes the sister bike to my knacked P7; we hacked our local trails, pretty much every day on said steeds from 95 to 97.

The plan now - whilst I pursue the incompetent engineering company for compensation - is to treat the C-16r as my MTB restoration. Hopefully, I'll get the P7 repaired (Argos have quoted £400 - £500 for full works) and then restore her for road use in an identical colour scheme; as per Chris Gillespie's finish - black and white, SS with carbon bladed forks.

I'll get the Clockwork stripped down over the weekend and sent off for powder coating on Monday.

This is she;
DSC03443.jpg

DSC03445.jpg

DSC03444.jpg

More as soon as I have it.

Kerry.

Goodness :shock:.. too a non engineering eye looks likes they clamped the end of the post then tried to smash the frame off it. £400 to fix a p7 frame, you really might wanna have a think about that... even if they pay out. I personally think you would be better just starting again with £400 in your pocket. how about picking up a more modern farm and nickle platting that.

c16 looks great BTW.

Yeah, I know. We'll see how it goes. Like I say, get the Clockwork done first and see where we are with the P7. Would be superb to have them both restored and shiny once again.

Gentle folk of RB - where can I best find decals for my Clockwork, please?

I'm after the Orange black badge for the head-tube and a small C16R for the top tube. The last two in black, if possible.

Like this:
p7ss.jpg

Quick update.

All components ordered (waiting on a big CRC delivery :D ), but this what I have to date..

9f6dbc96f8c503d6a2481eee88df42d9.jpg

Mavic 317 (black) non-disc on LX hubs. Handbuilt by Merlin Cycles.
Lizard skin charger grips.
Velosolo SS drivetrain 34/16t 1/8" (very sexy) with chain tensioner.
1/8" KMC chain (rex).
Shimano SPD.
Incorrect headset*
Decals :eek:

*Made a mistake on the headset and inadvertently ordered a 1" Aheadset (Cane Creek S2). Anyway around this, folks? Failing that, do any of you good people have a 1" threaded CC S2, please?

Ta,

Kerry.

Kerry,

Try Bob Jackson for the respray job, much cheaper than Argos. I paid £400+ for the respray job on my P7 and that was just stove enamelled in a single colour and decals added

Bob Jackson charged £175 for my Prestige to be stripped, painted in two tone silver/purple, stickered and lacquered, less than half the price!

Turn around was 4 weeks, Argos had the bike for 8 weeks!

Sweet C16R, straight out the same stable as the Clockwork :) I've got several C16R's and just started resto on my Clockwork, both bikes share the same DNA but will be interesting to see how the handling characteristics differ from C16R & Clockwork, not added a P7 to my collection, maybe one for the future. Maybe you should hang yours up as Wall Art and source another one to build :)

Looking forward to seeing how your C16R turns out :D

Right, I don't have much time right now, but I do have some updates...

Re compensation for my damaged P7, that was a non-starter. She will be restored in a year or two for road use - same theme as the clockwork except for carbon bladed forks and road wheels. I'll hide the dent with a slender top tube pad.

Anyhow, on to much more exciting news, the Clockwork!

Some pics [before]:
DSC03443.jpg

DSC03445.jpg

DSC03444.jpg

Shot-blasting:
NorthHertfordshire-20121107-00052.jpg

NorthHertfordshire-20121018-00048-1.jpg

Powder-coated [and the beginnings of assembly]:
c16r.jpg

WP_0008631.jpg

I tracked down these guys http://www.fullrangefinishing.co.uk/album/album.html who shot blasted the frame and fork, powder coated both, applied the lone decal on the head-tube and then lacquered all for £90. Very happy with their work.

Left to do is the following:
  • Order and fit stem adaptor.
  • Fit stem and bar.
  • Fit v-brake levers/route cabling and fit white grips (lizardskin chargers)
  • Chain length and alignment; fit spacers, cog, lockring and red chain.
  • Take more detailed photos in better light and post the finished product on this site. :D
Cosmetically speaking I've got some black hub skewers en-route from CRC. The bottle cag bolts are anodized red and compliment the chain nicely. When I ordered the wheels from Merlin Cycles I asked the builder to ensure that he used black hubs - turns out he didn't see that part of my instruction but regardless, the silver hubs work well with the scheme and match the rim braking surface colour. So, so far so good and she's looking awesome in the metal. Can't wait to get out and see how she handles.

Should feel like 'going home'.

Buzz.

looks nice, the black and white is very dogs bolloxs..did they laquer over the headtube sticker?

Back