Old Dawes (Potentially 1948 GB OLYMPIC) bike, Help on model!

tiermat":174zt5d9 said:
hamster":174zt5d9 said:
<SNIP> as it's a deathtrap without one. :shock:

Not that old chesnut.

I suppose you tell everyone to ride with a helmet on too, do you?

Brakes on fixies are a personal thing.

Personally I ride my fixie (when I do ride it) with a front brake only. Not exactly, strictly speaking, street legal, but it is my choice.

As long as you are able to make an informed choice that is influenced more by your a) willingness to break the law AND b) the knowledge that you can stop the bike with no front brake in an emergency and not by hipster fashion, then go ahead.

Actually a fixie with a front brake only IS legal.

However, the problem is that a rear-only braked bike has approx double the stopping distance, as the harder the brake works, the more weight is pitched onto the front wheel, so lessening the rear's grip. Bicycling Science has a lengthy analysis if you want to dig into it.

Kieranyeh":35xft9yh said:
OldTel":35xft9yh said:
Hi, you will need to search for old catalogues, but my guess based on the badge ( late sixties / seventies ) and the chrome decals ( early seventies again ) is surprisingly early seventies. The old Dawes badge had a flame in, so it maybe at the switch over between badges and the Olympic rings have been used by most manufacturers at one time or another. Terry

Awesome, Yeah that makes sense, It was interesting to see if it was anything to do with the GB Olympics, but i suppose it could have been any nations olympics.

Cheers for the response, Kieran

Or more likely just a model name.

Many makers used olympic rings as decoration without any particular meaning. I doubt if Dawes made anything suitable for racers in the 40's 50's.

Back