Cycling cool/uncool?

I've been riding bikes all my life, I've always felt that people who ride bikes get the point - whether they're roadies, MTBers, commuters, couriers - and people who don't ride bikes don't get it. Not really bothered about whether it's cool or not - it's environmentally friendly, and if you do enough of it you end up in pretty good shape physically - doesn't that automatically make it cool these days?

Charlieboy28":2lhk4b5h said:
I think therefore I am

I think I am cool, therefore I am cool

I am cool, I cycle, ergo cycling is cool
That, there, is where logic failed you, or you failed logic.
Charlieboy28":2lhk4b5h said:
irrefutable logic i think you will find
"Would that it were... would that it were"

NeilM":2cpx7ekl said:
You think that cyclists we are perceived as gay, you wanna try telling people you ride a horse :shock:

I do, and I do, and everytime I wait for the comments.... so I get in there quick and mention the fact that most horseriders are women, so that means there's always plenty of fit women walking about in tight jodhpurs :D

ok, so it's not all peachy buns all the time, you get some double-decker buses, but on average it's worth it :D :D

I really hope I don't have to trawl Google for horse riding coolness.

Horse riding is literally the coolest cool thing ever in the history of coolness.

The bicycle is basically the horse that doesn't shit on the lawn.

:)

I vote uncool. Let's face it, there are few things more ridiculous looking than a man in lycra. Stylish it ain't. And I imagine mtb'ers are generally looked upon as big kids who never grew up after bmx. It's certainly true in my case :D

And then we have the two chaps below who, like it or not, are probably the highest profile cyclists in the UK today :oops:

Very uncool -

boris-johnson.jpg

_47832787_cameron_cycle_getty.jpg

I prefer NOT to be cool.Cool for me means keeping up with the Jones's and having to have every bit of kit poss to go with that uber expensive MTB/Road bike.Cool for me means my bike is more of a target for theives.Cool is the right to charge more than you should for bike parts.

Uncool lets me wear my helmet.Uncool lets me pick up cycling bargains at car boots sales.Uncool lets me go for a ride without my clothing helping me to look the same colour as the bike.Uncool just lets me get on with riding rather than taking the talk.

In the Eighties I road BMX when they were seen as old hat compared to MTBs.I now ride MTB 20 odd years later but only because I cant go far on A BMX anymore.Any way BMX is cool again.... ;) :D

Back