Make my Montare lighter

Akula

Old School Hero
Most of my riding is bikes paths, up and down pavements, on the road, and the occasional short cut through rough stuff. My Marin was 16 years old and could no longer take the pace of 100-150k per weekend.

So i bought one of these

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/20 ... ve/montare

After i bought it, i discovered this website, and have now been able to find the parts for the Marin I couldn't find before, and now have it back up and in good order. however im still keeping it more for offroad than my weekend high mileage.

The Montare rides nice, and once wound up is a good cruiser, however i was shocked by the weight (something i didn't research before buying).

its just over 14kg,and thats after i have made some minor changes, skinny road tyres, lightweight disks and Ti seat post (that alone saved me 250g).

It seems the basic components are functional but heavy.
I've decided the front Sus forks are a waste, and from what i can find online, these weigh at least 1.7Kg if not closer to 2kg.

Comparing my old 26" non disc wheels to the 29er disc wheels, im sure even allowing for the disc and larger diameter that the wheels, are no light weights.

Not really set a budget, but just looking to buy here and there and trim the weight down to something under 12kg.

Carbon forks at the front should take a big chunk off weight off, looking at the Pace RC31 if they come back out again, or the Carbon cycle ones.

Any other suggestion for weight savings ????

Change to much and you may well have bought a new bike? Sounds like you have changed a lot and know else to change.
Perhaps change the wheels?

In terms of bangs per buck, I would look at:
1 tyres
2 handlebars
3 fork (especially if rigid is possible)
4 chainset

You could also consider going singlespeed (depending on where you live!)

Modern bikes are just heavy, part of new regulations on safety (don't get me started).

hamster":1zd1pdan said:
In terms of bangs per buck, I would look at:
1 tyres
2 handlebars
3 fork (especially if rigid is possible)
4 chainset

You could also consider going singlespeed (depending on where you live!)

Modern bikes are just heavy, part of new regulations on safety (don't get me started).
Thanks for that, similar to my line of thinking.

Single speed not going to work for me.

One upgrade I did but not in the weight saving mode was to fit Mary bars, I find these a lot more comfortable, so not in a hurry to remove them, even if they are heavy.

Looks like forks , then a maybe chainset later.

Yeah, Mary Bars ARE heavy but obviously they are designed to take a good beating.

I would imagine that fork is at least 2kg if not 2.5... a carbon rigid would look great on the bike, be a nice if costly upgrade.

You'd also save quite a lot (250g+?) by upgrading to a Hollowtech II crankset & BB once yours wears out, I have some M443 cranks in my workshop and they are pretty heavy when paired with their BB too.

Marys are brilliant bars, I have them on my tandem.

If you can run to some lighter wheels, they would be the best choice.

Back