1991 ? Klein Adroit

mkozaczek":1poe5p9z said:
ooops, picture link as broken - fixed now

Wow, I've never heard of that before... must have been something they were experimenting with early on

What is your serial no?

Frame is at the Cambridgeshire factory with Mr. Rock so can't tell you the serial no. atm :)

mkozaczek":2mhlskmk said:
Oh yeah, I see what you're saying about the bottle mounts.

Well the others are as follows:

#2 is the boron/carbon fiber strip in the headtube
#3 no bondo/filler over the boron on the stays
#4 paint appears to be very thin, no white base layer to speak of

It also had Ti brake bosses and I think the BB spindle is Ti as well, the serial number is on the dropout and not the BB shell like my other two Adroits.

So, I don't know, maybe an early team bike, a prototype, who knows?

could it be a ex factory employes frame ?

matthew71":c00lqd8y said:

Hard to say. Could be an late 91 or early pre-production 92 frame. Color and build don't match. I thought that the headtube boron was very unusual, but maybe it was more common on the early frame.

Either way an early Adroit is kinda cool. Now, I'm not sure which way to go with it...

DSC_0831-vi.jpg

As well as the carbon fiber strips in the headset it doesn't make any sense to me why??
You use a 35mm tube and then squeeze it to 32mm or so to fit a smaller seatpost, gives more stress to the already fragile area of the frame, or is there a pipe welded or soldered in in the original seattube, looks like you can see a small weld where it gets narrower?

kleinrenzo":2n9dac4p said:
As well as the carbon fiber strips in the headset it doesn't make any sense to me why??
You use a 35mm tube and then squeeze it to 32mm or so to fit a smaller seatpost, gives more stress to the already fragile area of the frame, or is there a pipe welded or soldered in in the original seattube, looks like you can see a small weld where it gets narrower?

As to the carbon strip I imagine it had something to do with stress concentrations due to welding thin wall aluminum in the headtube. I don't think that the Adroit had a thinner headtube than the Attitude, at least there is nothing in the literature to indicate that, so why on the Adroit?? Maybe it had something to do with the fact that the height (length) of the headtube was constant from Adroit to Attitude, but the Attitude had the larger down tube and possibly larger top tube putting the welds much closer together creating a thermal stress zone.

As for the post, I imagine that they wanted to use a larger diameter seat tube but there wasn't any seatpost to fit that size on the market. That's they started making their own posts in 1992 maybe?? So, they had to adapt to the 1 1/4 tube to house the 27.2 post. I'll examine it to see ho far the 1 1/4 sleeve goes into the 1 3/8 lower section.

mkozaczek":3aicx46i said:
matthew71":3aicx46i said:

Hard to say. Could be an late 91 or early pre-production 92 frame. Color and build don't match. I thought that the headtube boron was very unusual, but maybe it was more common on the early frame.

Either way an early Adroit is kinda cool. Now, I'm not sure which way to go with it...

Sell it to me!

mkozaczek":w3v3hghq said:
kleinrenzo":w3v3hghq said:

As to the carbon strip I imagine it had something to do with stress concentrations due to welding thin wall aluminum in the headtube. I don't think that the Adroit had a thinner headtube than the Attitude, at least there is nothing in the literature to indicate that, so why on the Adroit?? Maybe it had something to do with the fact that the height (length) of the headtube was constant from Adroit to Attitude, but the Attitude had the larger down tube and possibly larger top tube putting the welds much closer together creating a thermal stress zone.

As for the post, I imagine that they wanted to use a larger diameter seat tube but there wasn't any seatpost to fit that size on the market. That's they started making their own posts in 1992 maybe?? So, they had to adapt to the 1 1/4 tube to house the 27.2 post. I'll examine it to see ho far the 1 1/4 sleeve goes into the 1 3/8 lower section.

I would understand if they wrapped carbon around the welds but the carbon inside is ineed a mistery.
But the thinner part is a sleeve then? Sure they must have brands that made 31,6 mm seatsposts,but maybe not, i don't know.

Although this Adroit (from your website ;) ) has got the same narrow bit at the top so it could be that nobody made 31,6 mm seatposts.

adroit2.jpg

You've peered into adroit headtubes, have you seen one with boron inside??

Yes certainly on the earlier ones.

According to the klein paint guys they had to put bondo over all of the boron because it had excessive pitting and didn't make for a nice finish...

The ones Ive seen and the one I sanded down had a smooth finish with bondo around the edges.
What I took for Bondo was greeny grey in colour.
What differs on this one is yours seems to be a weave of some kind, perhaps a carbon material?

Take a look..

J

DSC04821.jpg

DSC04822.jpg

audi-allroad":18gvi2ug said:
congrats martin , nice pickup for sure .

was it the neon one from craiglist ?

cheers

florian

Nope this was local (Los Angeles) and eBay originally.

I never found out what the neon bike on CL was.

Back