This place is bad for you - Stumpjumper advice

not_fat_matt

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Currently got a 99 FSR that does the XC stuff perfectly well for me, been doing a fair amount of canal tow path/road work recently, and want to start biking to work, so have justified the purchase of a 2000 Stumpjumper M2 frame :roll:

Plan is to transfer my old FSR wheels + v brakes over, im toying with the idea of putting a rigid fork on (P2?) - any idea what length i need to compensate for the OE forks?

The other idea is to drop the front to two rings, as i dont really use the granny ring - do i have to change BB and crank to do this?

Cheers!

Im not sure but I guess 2000 that the axle crown would be for 100mm fork for a stumpie, never a long travel machine, so you'd be looking at 430mm.

Will be super light with project 2s. Give it a go.

Not sure on a 2 up front arrangement. Think your cranks and all are fine, just need fine tuning. Might be worth googling, sure bikeradar will have some threads on this.

Bikepedia says 80mm fork (Manitou SX-r) which sounds about right. Sure the frame would be happy with 100mm too though.

As far as rigid fork selection, I tried a P2 on my M2 and didn't think it suited it as the fork blades looked too skinny next to the MMC tubes. Just my opinion mind. :?

Good call on the P2's, had looked at On-one carbon or RC31's but not sure i can justify the cost at the mo.
Surlys look good, poss a tad long at 453mm but they look a good option, On-One CroMo's look nice and beefy, bit short at 420mm maybe, both getting a bit weighty - still loads lighter than suspension tho.

Found a good guide on bikeradar for the cranks as well, cheers

I found a pair of P2 jump forks that I think fit quite well. They weigh a fair bit more than my TB P2s, but as you say, still lighter than any suspension fork I've had. ;)

IMGP0086.jpg

Think that stumpys look better with curved forks, although the post above looks good. Normal p2s are too skinny. What about cannondale pepperonis?

Back