1991 Gt Karakoram elite - finished

Very nice looking Karakoram. I had exactly the same bike in the early 90's, and mine was stolen in 1996 iirc.

So glad that my old frame went to such a good home. I shall be expecting great things from you Lee.

looking great already! this era of GT's, 91, 92 are their finest i reckon!

its a shame in 93 they decided to switch the name of the bike to small letters on the top tube, and put the GT All Terra on the downtube.

the older way and fonts were much nicer...

Nice frame! :D Looking forward to the build!

Here you can find the original spec's:

GT-1991-USA-022.jpg

And a pic of the bike in the 1991 catalogue:

gt_1991_usa_00resize9_176.jpg

Rahbari":26tc08ka said:
Nice frame! :D Looking forward to the build!

Here you can find the original spec's:

Oh Rahbari,

I remember this bike as if it was the day I bought it, knew every single part on it as if it were family, I had made a few changes from the original spec tho so I'm trying to make it match what it was like the day it was stolen.

Really nice to see the catalogue scans tho, brings back memories of lusting over my brochure a whole week before deciding to buy one

RBG

update

Ummin and arrin about putting these on, had some these on my stolen one so thinking I either go for em or ........ bog std DX U-brake and canti's.

also found some NOS tioga biogrips ..... love em

DSCF6482.jpg

Right................ Another Karakoram revival

I've finished the Elite :D

Firstly - Thank you drystonepaul for parting with this luvly frame :) The wanted ads really do work sometimes eh.

As you may have read above I wanted to rebuild my stolen GT from over 20 years ago using the same components, this hadnt gone to plan - Tried the magura's and it didn't work for me, dunno why but i just didn't like it. Luckily I happen to have a spare DX braking system so on they went.

Thumbies are the way to go here so had some that i'd traded some mags a while back int shed along with some bargain SLR levers off the bay

Thanks to Russel for the karma GT stem ;) , gave this a smoothrite black finish as I dont have time to recreate the midnight sky colour and it looks quite good matching with the seatpost, I actually thought this may have been too long but I guess I've grown and it nicely fitted in with my 20 yrs of growth. bars are same as the originals and my BITD favorite grips are the Tioga Biogrips, black 400mm seatpin for £12 and a nice compfy turbo saddle .

Wheels are Wolber on DX, I dont thing and anodised Ritchey vantage rims are gonna pop up anytime soon :roll: so these will do for the foreseable future, theyre fitted up with a ritchey Z-max on the rear and megabyte up front.

Guards and lights will be fitted as This will be my daily ride back and forth to work so heres some piccis without em

:D

DSCF6499.jpg

DSCF6497.jpg

DSCF6494.jpg

DSCF6495.jpg

DSCF6500.jpg

DSCF6501-1.jpg

DSCF6492.jpg

Back