1992 GT Karakoram

kingoffootball

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
My 'new' GT, courtesy of ebay:

S3400001.JPG

1992, with Groove Tube and U-brake. Obviously some non-original parts, here's the rear drop-out:

S3400002.JPG

Given the DX rear mech (and ignoring the lovely Altus cranks ;) ) LX U-brake and LX wheels plus the "adjusty bits" (technical term) and replaceable mech hanger = Karakoram? I'm also pretty sure I can see Tequila Sunrise paint under the repaint.

In it's current state it weighs 13.45kg though 0.5kg of that is probably that saddle :)

Only downside is that it's only an 18", so I'll have to see whether I get on with it alright or whether it turns out to be too small.

More likely an Avalanche with the adjustable drop outs with replacable hanger, if so then bonus!

Pretty sure the 92 Karakoram had the adjustable rear drop outs and replaceable hanger, DX, and the specks of colour under would tie in.

I'm pretty sure the Karakoram had those too and spec seems right, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm 2nd in line for a 92 Karakoram off Ringo but it doesn't appear to have adjustable drop outs, I haven't a close up pic though.

Is that a rattle can paint job? If it is can you lightly sand it back to see whats underneath?

I can go into my garage right now and confirm that a 'tequila sunrise' Karakorum has a replaceable drop out.

It also has a seatpost stuck in it but that is an entirely different issue...

Could it also be a Brovado?:

gt_92er_page22_187.jpg

The red under the "paint job" says Karakoram to me but did they come with a 3D fork? The flip flop is defiantly a 92

No 3D fork on it, but also no stuck seatpost :)

I was conservative in my estimate for the weight of that seat - 740g :shock:

I'm gonna take it out for a quick spin in the rain in a minute, in its now sub-13kg state (I wasn't even testing it with that seat on).

I'm trying not to think of the ramifications of having a '91 Karakoram Elite and a '92 Karakoram, given my completist nature .... but I might just double check how many different years it was made ...

Back