Rocky mountain Vertex 70 2004. New tweeks Page 2.

Steering is very slightly slower than standard, but more planeted on fast flat descents and more predictable.
She weight about as much as a sparrows fart.
Frame number is; 1AVNOIDEA :LOL:

Re: .

Grannygrinder":2nbbjww2 said:
Fancy teasing an old man, I don't know, the youth of today..... :cry:

I'm fairly sure that Easton frames were still welded in Vancouver at that point, but the serial number would confirm it.

Have you got reading glasses ready :LOL: :LOL:
Frame No is RMB03060450
Size is 18.5, i know this coz its stamped next to the frame number :D

What info can be gleaned from the frame number Anthony?

Ah ha, just in the process of rebuilding mine but gone for 1x9, vee brakes & suss forks here, looking at sub 10kg I recon & still plenty of weight to loose on the wheels ;) but this is supposed to be a spare bike so hopefully I will resist spending any more on it.....

So what does frame number tell you? mine is RMB03060945

I'm sightly surprised by those numbers actually. It's clear that they are the 450th and 945th frames of model 6 made in 2003, so the Vertex 70 must be model 6. But I had thought Easton frames were still built in Delta, BC in 2003, but Blizzards weren't and Blizzards certainly had RMB serial numbers at that time in that format.

My 2002 Element team Sc has a different but similar format. 2002010319 means the 319th copy of model 1 made in 2002. I know it was made in Delta because I have been told the name of the welder who initialled the Easton Master Welder sticker and he worked in Delta.

It seems that after a certain point, only scandium frames were made in Delta (with all-numeric serials) and other aluminium frames, even Easton ones, were made in Rocky Mountain's facility on mainland China (with RMB serials). It seems that point was as early as 2003. Standard paint on those frames was done in China, any fancy paint in Quebec.

Don't be disappointed though - I have been told that the quality achieved at the Chinese plant (warranty percentage etc) is better than they ever achieved at Delta.

The fact that they were built in 2003 isn't inconsistent with their being 2004 models of course - 2004 bikes went on sale late in 2003 and most of the 2004 production run would have taken place during 2003.

Re: .

Grannygrinder":2adaorp5 said:
Steering is very slightly slower than standard, but more planeted on fast flat descents and more predictable.
She weight about as much as a sparrows fart.

I dont get that, if you put a smaller front wheel on it lowers the front end, thus steepening the fork angle, thus speeding up the steering at the expense of straight line stability :?

RobMac":3twa688z said:
650 is only 1/2-inch bigger than a 26-inch MTB rim apparently :?
Actually an inch bigger, but you're right that the radius is only half an inch more and that's what counts towards the head angle. On the other hand, the one inch bigger wheel also slows the steering down, in addition to the slightly slacker head angle.

Back