A Period (In)correct Bike Project

- That seat-post seems heavy to me for a road post. What length do you actually need? Easton EA70 with logos removed?

It's a 350mm seatpost, way to long of course, I'll have to fit it on the frame to see how much I can cut.. But I will lose at least 50grams is my estimate.
Which bring is at 240grams which isnt that bad I guess..

Great project.

Thanks very much (also for the comments)

Hi again Bastos :) "If its weight you're going for try Roval bladed spoke wheels. Seriously cool, steady and so light you need a back pack so you don't blow away in the wind. That or you need my 28hole Galli hubbed GP4's (tubs). Also I have 24holed SR hubs but still looking for the rims to match. 24hole is not common :cry:

Please post pics soon as build takes place. Very curios to see how you get a 1990's chainset to fit a 2009 BB ? Its a very big issue Bastos, the BB really needs to match the chainset or tapers & chain lines will cause serious problems. Later buddy, Laz.

PS: Try this link http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... t=#1197694 Scroll down a few posts and you'll see a bike I built last year (and very foolishly sold for just £250). It's total weight when finished was just 7.8kg. God I miss that bike (sold in a moment of complete madness) Rode like the wind :cry:

PART XVI

Dark grey 90ies Time RXE pedals

PRICE= got them of a bike that I bought for €100 (and probably sell with a profit), so let's say €5
WEIGHT= 253grams (! for the pair)

g16267.jpg

PART XVIII

Bought some chainrings in VGC from an old man who didn't really know the value of them, They are 52 AND 42 teeth

WEIGHT= 0,124kg
PRICE = €10 (for both)

Will add picture..

Will need some bolts tough, maybe will go for some Ti ones..

Estimates for parts coming + arrived

-brakeset (calipers and levers) -> ca. 300g + 200g
Lever are eventually 231g SO +31grams

Hopefully I can find some brake calipers under 300g

-chainset -> ca. 750g

Until now, bought chainrings (124g)
Waiting for Cranks to arrive
Have to find some chainring bolts (Ti maybe: claimed weight of 15g)

-headset -> ca 150g

First need to find out what type I need, probably Italian thread??

-bottom bracket -> ca. 250g

Centaur BB, 233g, SAVE 17grams

-chain -> ca. 250g

Still have to buy one, will get it as short as possible, hopefully few grams under 250..

-pedals -> ca. 300g

Time pedals, 253grams, SAVES 47grams

Until now I've saved, 33 grams on estimates, could save an extra 50 grams on cutting the post probably and hopefully I'll save some weight on the chainset (hoping 50g less than estimate =750g-> Crank an crankbolts have to weight less than 561 grams)

=> Estimated savings ca.150grams + could save a whole lot of extra 50 grams by swapping saddle, but that is probably going to be to costly, however this would allow me to use the wheels I already have here and have cost me almost nothing :)

PART I = 2,799kg
PART II = 0,253kg -> 0,239kg (swap)
PART III = 0,290kg (could cut seatpost)
PART IV = 0,303kg (could take a smaller stem, or switch bolts with Ti bolts)
PART V = 0,327kg (got some lighter but less nice Bars I could go for)
PART VI = 0,013kg
PART VII = 0,460kg (could save some weight, when I buy some more expensive tyres after I've finished the project and used these ones, like Grand Prix Supersonic 20-622s: 460g -> 290g)
PART VIII = 0,155kg
PART IX = 0,277kg (will probabely swap this Saddle)
PART X = 0,092kg
PART XI = 0,054kg (bar tape weight may be a little less when fitted)
PART XII = 0,077kg
PART XIII =0,010kg (could leave rear wheel adjusters)
PART XIV =0,230kg
PART XV = 0,239kg
PART XVI = 0,253kg
PART XVII = 0,628kg
PART XVIII = (included in part XVII)

(BUDGET: 136,45 EURO LEFT)

For
PART XIX: Wheelset [2,454kg] (got them off a €25-bike, of which I've sold the other parts for €100, so lets say free :) )
PART XX: Chain [ca 250g] (ca €15)
PART XXI: Brake calipers [ca 300g] (ca €50)
PART XXII: Headset [ca 150g] (ca.€30)
PART(S) XXIII: Cables (ca. €5)[need to Cut seatpost & swap saddle (+ ca€??? ) & ....]

=>
Will be close to 9,6 kg
Will be having €36,45 left but have to buy chainring bolts and might swap saddle

Sounds about right with the tyres. I switched from some very old cracked but classic looking Hutchison Kevlar tyres to Michelin Pro 3 and saved 300g according to the scales.

Sounds about right with the tyres. I switched from some very old cracked but classic looking Hutchison Kevlar tyres to Michelin Pro 3 and saved 300g according to the scales

Some 150g tyres would save me a great amount of weight BUT
I've came to realize budget and lighweight have a troubled relation

Latest posts

Back