Deal extreme/Ebay 900 lumen lights

I took my light apart today (same type as JamesM's) in an attempt to seal where the cable enters the casing. Would have just sealed it from outside but the 2 inner cores of cable were visible where they came out the handlebar mount. Also wanted to check interior for swarf, thermal paste, etc and from something I read, I wanted to secure a coil that is part of driver.

Mine also has the 2 lights in switch lit at same time, hadn't noticed before as being colour blind I couldn't tell what colour the switch button was. :oops:

Removing the driver on it's brass slug from the LED mount was a pain in the arse, once done was able to use hot glue to hold coil in place. Tried to seal/hold cable in place where it enters the LED mount. Made it feckin' hard to put it all back together but succeeded in the end. The LED star did appear to have thermal paste/glue holding to it's heatsink. The o-ring seal at rear of reflector when removed turned out to be barely 20mm in diameter and had been stretched in the extreme to fit in groove in reflector. No wonder it looked a bit iffy, not good.

Put some hotglue in hole for cable, to seal it, before refitting handlebar mount again with glue under it as threads for wee screw are a tad effed. Since I only unscrewed it, it must have been done on first assembly :roll:
Anyway the threads that are left seem to be holding it OK with the help of the hotglue. Although the light gets hot when it's been on for a while it wont'd get hot enough to melt glue. :oops: I hope.
Sealed the battery by putting it in a balloon left over from Halloween. Cut half the neck off then stretched it over battery, used one of those wire-twist poly-bag closures to keep neck closed.

I've not been able to compare it to other eBay/DX lights but it's not as bright as I expected from what I've read on forums.

Might buy another light from eBay but will get one of the ones described on DX as "assault" as the reflector is different shape and there's only one o-ring needed to seal bezel that holds lens/reflector in.

old_coyote_pedaller":3snjc5i5 said:
I took my light apart today (same type as JamesM's). Mine also has the 2 lights in switch lit at same time,

The seller I bought my light from insists they are all like this. I'm begining to think this is a design fault with all of these plain (not attack) bezel lights. Any one got one with a working battery status indicator?

old_coyote_pedaller":3snjc5i5 said:
The o-ring seal at rear of reflector when removed turned out to be barely 20mm in diameter and had been stretched in the extreme to fit in groove in reflector. No wonder it looked a bit iffy, not good.

So yours had two black o-rings on the refelector?

JamesM":25qigk49 said:
old_coyote_pedaller":25qigk49 said:
I took my light apart today (same type as JamesM's). Mine also has the 2 lights in switch lit at same time,

The seller I bought my light from insists they are all like this. I'm begining to think this is a design fault with all of these plain (not attack) bezel lights. Any one got one with a working battery status indicator?

old_coyote_pedaller":25qigk49 said:
The o-ring seal at rear of reflector when removed turned out to be barely 20mm in diameter and had been stretched in the extreme to fit in groove in reflector. No wonder it looked a bit iffy, not good.

So yours had two black o-rings on the refelector?

Definitely a design fault I think, why would there be 2 different coloured LED's that are on at same time? Especially as on other lights they indicate green when fully charged and red when in need of charging, poor excuse by seller "Oh they're all like that". Complete bollocks. They know that buyers will live with it instead of paying postage to send it back.

Yes mine has 2 "o-rings" on reflector but none of the ones in the box of o-rings I have are thin enough to fit in groove. Will have to find some somewhere, probably find them as plumbing spares in B&Q if my memory isn't playing tricks.

old_coyote_pedaller":1obxzqpc said:
Definitely a design fault I think, why would there be 2 different coloured LED's that are on at same time? Especially as on other lights they indicate green when fully charged and red when in need of charging, poor excuse by seller "Oh they're all like that". Complete bollocks. They know that buyers will live with it instead of paying postage to send it back.

Won't comment on the "they're all like that", but with separate red and green leds - you can illuminate red, green, or "yellow" with both on.

Just to comment that I run the light my light on 'low' when on the road to avoid blinding drivers (It's enough to be seen as I also have a flashing light), and tested took my glove off and felt the temp as soon as I came to a stand still when I got home tonight. Nice and cool. A little bit of airflow seems to be doing wonders for it :)

[humongous thread resurrection]

Hi all, I need a nice simple, cheap set-up to race at mayhem this year, just a straightforward light on the bars worked fine last year (borrowed from the ever helpful mrlee :D ), one of the ebay £40ish jobbies I think it was.

So, what do you recommend? I don't mind spending a little more for something decent that will last as I may well take to using it more often.

Currently there's a set of Hope Vision HID on here with a spare battery (handy as my better half is also racing so we can share) for £100, how would that compare to something like this, for example?

In terms of brightness, beam usefulness, fixing security, waterproofing etc.

Thanks all, this will be much appreciated! :cool:

edit

Or is a humongous 4500lumen torch the future?! Reckon you could see into the future with one of these... :shock:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/tr-j12-cre ... 17?item=21

[/humongous thread resurrection]

You can have mine for £25 if you want :)

(It's an RMA XM-L deal extreme light. I've used it twice since getting it replaced a few weeks ago).

Scougar":p6tvar0b said:
You can have mine for £25 if you want :)

(It's an RMA XM-L deal extreme light. I've used it twice since getting it replaced a few weeks ago).

Sounds good, can't see quite which model that is on the website, but definitely seems handy to have a second one, even just for a back up battery :)

What happened to need to send it back? No sign of the same happening to the new one I presume?

Sounds (from this thread) like you're fairly handy with them so probably safer to buy your's than I new one I bet! :LOL:

PM me the details if you prefer, save filling the thread ... like it matters on page 6! :LOL:

Thanks!

Still appreciate any advice on other systems or maybe taking the plunge on the Hope set?

There is a shop called cyclomonster.com that's selling magicshine 1600 lumen LED lights for just under £90, includes battery ect. A few of us have them in our club and they are really good, completely wipes out my old Exposure Maxx-d mk2(900 lumen one). Fee postage too and they are UK based so any tech support issues will be much easier than DX is. Think if your a new customer you might also get a further discount by signing up to the newsletter

http://www.cyclomonster.com/cart/magics ... lumen.html

Back