Deal extreme/Ebay 900 lumen lights

head torch

kaiser":3q8a3dce said:
Numbskull alert :oops: mounted the light on the helmet and noticed that I hadn't been pushing the battery connector together properly, it does give a reassuring click. I only had it half in :oops: :oops:

Will report on helmet mounting trial, also got the battery on there.

^^^^^ haahhaahaha i did wonder why you kept saying you got plunged into darkness all the time with it?? :idea:
As mine has never done that? But yes it should click together solidly. I keep the battery pack in my camelback bag as lead is long enough to connect no problem, also keeps the weight off your head a bit as well!! :cool:

Greig.

old_coyote_pedaller":1goqu1t2 said:
Yup, did that the first time I connected battery, thought, this is crap, but then gave it another push and all OK.

You've got your battery on your helmet? Doesn't sound cumfy to me.
I was a miner for nearly 20 years and the less weight you carry on your head/helmet the better.

I agree, sounds like too much weight, 20 years of being a gigolo told me the less weight you carry on your helmet the better.

The Ken":s7x6mb65 said:
I agree, sounds like too much weight, 20 years of being a gigolo told me the less weight you carry on your helmet the better.

I knew that someone, eventually, would say something about that. :LOL:
With some of us, the weight of the helmet itself is the problem. ;)

I bought this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320728058723? ... 1497.l2649

Recieved it today however I think it faulty, the light works and is very bright however the push button glows orange with a hint of green in one small area. It does this even with a fully charged battery. Anyone else seen this? The way I understand it is it should glow green when the battery is good and red whens its low?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Mine is exactly the same, but works fine apart from that. It's not meant to glow orange and green at the same time btw....

I didnt think it was. Does it change at all giving any indication when the battery is low?

I guess its just not worth sending all the way back to China if I have to pay the postage.

Bear in mind mine is a slightly different model (Deal extreme XM-L)... but yes, as far as I'm aware it's "meant" to go orange when it gets low, and at full power until it gets low, show green. Mine never changes even when low.. both lights are on :-(

Apart from that it has been working fine, but obviously knowing when it's low would be useful. For me.. it just turned itself off when it got too low. I doubt it's worth sending back from your perspective. Could attempt to find the cost with parcel to go or something.

I sent this to the seller:

"Hello, I think there maybe a problem with my light. The switch glows red all the time, even when the battery is fully charged. I thought it was suposed to glow green when the battery is charged and red when the battery is low."

This is the response I got:

"Dear James,
It is normal, when the battery is connected with the light, the button switch should be red all the time. when the battery is out of power, the light will be dim."

I'm going to take it apart later and have a look. There maybe some solder splash or swarf thats causing the fault. Every review I've seen of these lights talked about swarf inside them; mine actually had a blob solder stuck between the heatsink fins on the outside of the casing. If that doesn't work I will attempt to remove/disconnect the switch LEDs. That way I can leave the battery connected all the time when its on the bike.

old_coyote_pedaller":qfrhopwv said:
Scougar":qfrhopwv said:
Slightly confused.. is it not sealed on the sides?

Are you asking about the light in my link?

If you are, no it isn't sealed at sides. The reflector has an O-ring around the outer circumference at each end that seals the front around the lens and at the back against the mount for the LED. I will be changing these O-rings as one of them is a bit iffy.

I have the same light and mine doesn't have the O-ring at the LED end, so any water entering those holes in the side can and will get to the electronics. There is a recess for it to sit in, it's just not there. Also there's not so much as a molecule of heatsink compound or silicone O-ring grease in there either. Maybe all this is how they cut the price for £50 down to £30.

Scougar":qfrhopwv said:
Bear in mind mine is a slightly different model (Deal extreme XM-L)... but yes, as far as I'm aware it's "meant" to go orange when it gets low, and at full power until it gets low, show green. Mine never changes even when low.. both lights are on :-(

Now I've taken it apart its clear that both lights are on on mine too!!!

The battery indicator LEDs are tiny surface mount things so easy enough to remove, I will then reasemly it with fitting the missing O-ring and using heatsink compound and silcone grease. I'm going use blob of glue from a hot glue gun where the cable leaves the housing too. I'm not at work now till tuesday though so it will have to stay in bits until then.

Overall I think my light is pretty rubbish. I guess you get what you pay for!!!

Back