1991 Haro Extreme Comp NOS Build, Aussie Content, *Finished*

I've got a '91 Extreme Comp too, patiently waiting for a full restoration... Interesting story behind it:

I clearly remember the day I collected the bike (the very same one!) for my Cousin from the local Haro Dealer after school back in '91. I remember carefully putting it on the bus, getting it off the bus & taking it to his pace of work near the end of the day. It was hot so it must have been December, I guess. We poured over the bike for ages before I headed home & left him to have some qualitytime with his new steed.

My Cuzz upgraded the bike over time, replacing the Switchblade with a Manitou 2 & adding an ATAC & Hyperlites. Unfortunately, the bike was eventually stolen but as luck would have it my Cousin happened upon it a couple of years later, just lying in someone's front yard! It was unmistakably his so he reclaimed it & took it home (resplendant in a new silver rattle-can paint scheme :roll: ). He had another good MTB by this time so the bike was never really put back into action.

I was back home a couple of years ago & I had occasion to catch up with my Cuzz. During the catch-up we discussed my addiction & resulting VRC MTB collection. He promptly dissappeared up to his garage loft & returned with the bike! Now it's in my posession. It'll get a full resto... one day!

trailboss":3es0yzpn said:
Thanks Roy. I haven't seen any of those Apollos since a friend had a later model about 15 years ago, there really isn't much of a retro scene in Australia. I am sure though that there a plenty of old gems throughout the country gathering dust in garages. They are a brand that are still being manufactured although they were never really held in high esteem in Australian mountain bike circles back then, everyone lusted after the American brands. They were good in the fact they had a team and supported racing, actually Cadel Evans was sponsored by them when he was a junior mountain bike rider, he has come a long way since those days.

yes, my first 'proper' mtb was the 1992 apollo elevated chainstay bike, the maroon one with a DX ensemble incl thumbshifters and fisher fattrax tyres. it also ran an inch and a quarter headset. good bike, only one minor niggle...the steerer tube actually pulled out of the fork crown! not the best safety feature :)

i am amazed with your haro build...everything being in such new and NOS condition! that really is dedicated...must have been hard to find that stuff.

DX was a superb groupset, of the era very much like what XT is these days in terms of finish and operation.

Arran":csrsg4hv said:
I was back home a couple of years ago & I had occasion to catch up with my Cuzz. During the catch-up we discussed my addiction & resulting VRC MTB collection. He promptly dissappeared up to his garage loft & returned with the bike! Now it's in my posession. It'll get a full resto... one day!

Good to hear you got the bike back, I have had a couple of bikes stolen over the years never to be found or returned. :x It makes for a good story; the initial elation of the purchase, the riding, enjoyment, upgrading of the bike, the theft, the return to the rightfull owner and finally a resto to its former glory. You will have to get some photos on the site so I can have a look.

merckx":csrsg4hv said:
good bike, only one minor niggle...the steerer tube actually pulled out of the fork crown! not the best safety feature :)

Ahh yes the short lived quick release fork experiment. :LOL:

merckx":csrsg4hv said:
i am amazed with your haro build...everything being in such new and NOS condition! that really is dedicated...must have been hard to find that stuff.

I became a little bit obsessive with only wanting NOS, it cost me more than I care to divulge. :oops:

Have finally got around to taking some decent finished build pictures so here it is.

Frame: 1991 Haro Extreme Comp 19.5" CRMO

Fork: Composite Switch Fork, Machined Aluminium Triple Clamp, CRMO Blades, 1-1/8"

Headset: Ritchey Logic, 1-1/8"
Stem: Syncros Cattleprod, 130mm, 10 Degree
Handlebar: Answer Hyperlite, 5 Degree
Grips: ODI Attack

Brakes Front: Shimano Deore DX, BR-M650
Brake Pads: Shimano M System
Brakes Rear: Shimano Deore DX, BR-MT63
Brake Pads: Shimano
Brake Cables: Shimano M System
Cable Hangers: Shimano
Cable Guide Front: Dia-Compe
Brake Levers: Shimano Deore DX, ST-M075

Shifters: Shimano Deore DX, ST-M075
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore DX, FD-M650
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore DX, RD-M650
Derailleur Cables: Shimano Deore, SIS-SP41
Cassette: Shimano Hyperglide, CS-HG70, 7 Speed, 12-28
Chain: Shimano, CN-HG70
Cranks: Shimano Deore DX, FC-M650, 170mm
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: Shimano SG, C46, C36, C24
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: BB-UN54, 68 x 122.5mm, English Thread
Pedals: Shimano Deore DX, PD-M650
Toe Clips: Power Grips

Hub Skewers: Salsa Flip-Offs, Stainless Rods
Rims: Araya RM-17, 32 Hole
Hub Front: Shimano Deore DX, HB-M650, 32 Hole
Hub Rear: Shimano Deore DX, FH-M650, 32 Hole, 130mm
Nipples: Generic
Spokes: Generic 14 Gauge Stainless
Tyres: Onza Porcupine 26 x 2.10
Tubes: Continental MTB 26, 26 x 1.75-2.5", 42mm Presta Valve
Rim Strips - Syncros

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Titanium
Seatpost: Shimano Deore DX, SP-650, 27.0 x 330mm
Seatpost Binder: Salsa Flip-Off, Stainless Rod

Bottle Cage: Ringle H2O

Weight: Heavy

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

that's really cool, curious though how long is the toptube? it looks really long for the size of the frame.

impressed with the sheer amount of mint parts though.

:cool:

trailboss wrote:

I became a little bit obsessive with only wanting NOS, it cost me more than I care to divulge.

But you achieved the result you were after and it is a stunning build so the cost becomes less significant. How long did it take you to collect the complete 'set' of parts?

Congratulations on a great bike, absolutely beautiful. Is there anything at all you'd change on it?

Just perfect building. I cant get my head round all that NOS gear either! You should be most proud.. :)

Latest posts

Back