2012 Xizang

The Ken":1svrio88 said:
That is one of the worst modern builds I have ever seen, ugly.

Off topic but what do these new CEN rules force? and what are is the end result? My bike has taken 19 years of abuse and is still going strong, were they brought in because modern bikes were breaking too often?

mine are too, i think its a lot to do with suposedly increasing the saftey standard from the Bs6102 English standard which has been in force for decades and reportedly now out of date, to the new european standards of saftey. I suspect that the use of much longer travel suspension forks new frame materials, and the general type of consumer use of the bicycle has changed also, all leading factors to the need to increase the saftey standards.

I know that Cotic had to make alterations for there 09 range of frames, which saw a small increase in cost, and a bit of a headache at the time as i understand it.

I wonder how the smaller frame builders selling bespoke frames are effected.

About the 29r thing im not 100% i like them, but was also thinking about putting a set of 26" wheels one a 29r to see what its like

Would the center of gravity be wrong ie bottom bracket height from the ground. Would it be any good? :roll:

The Ken asked:
Off topic but what do these new CEN rules force
Here's the legislation:http://www.baltikvairas.lt/filemanager/download/29/EN 14766 .pdf

I doubt the requirements themselves are especially high, just that manufacturers need to be show their products to have been designed and tested in accordance with the legislation, and that makes the manufacturers and their insurers over-cautious. Manufacturers can't just assume their stuff is OK and safe.

More worrying is that there doesn't seem to be the usual 'custom built' exemption clause, so small producers either have to cough up for some standard testing, FEA test CAD models, or self-certify, which will make their insurers very nervous and their premiums higher.

As far as I can guess, the horrible bent downtube is a H&S insurance policy to prevent fork crowns interfering with the frame. Somebody probably mentioned it and once it had ben mentioned it became a known risk/danger which has to be eliminated. That doesn't seen to stop the dual crown fork guys and I can't find anything specific in the rules.

Sleep well,

samsbike":w4dkugd2 said:
T'boo Ted":w4dkugd2 said:
any I dea when it gets released... I truly don't want a 29er, ...

but if its a 29er, then it will be an easy decision...

Being thick but why would you not want a 29er?

um.. because I don't want one...

nothing against them, if people want one, thats fine, my mate has 2. For me I am happy on 26in wheels, don't see a need to change, and I think they look wonky.

Its liek why ride an old clunky 80's or 90's bike, when you could get a shiny new one with all the new cool gear? Personal chioce.

Back to topic, asked GT they said there will be 29 and 26 for 2012... not sure what that means...

I beleive 1-1/4" steerer or large is now required on all new bikes/frames in Europe, correct?

Nope, plenty of CEN-tested frames for 1-1/8in steerers out there. I suspect on an alu frame it's easier to make it pass with a tapered head tube, though.

Back