GT Edge Aluminium; Titanium and Hetchins Magnum Bonum

Old Ned":3qtekpce said:
Andy Thompson made a lot more than tricycles! Mandy Jones won the womens world championship road race in 1982 riding a Thompson. He went on to be involved with Orbit.

Nice bikes, I like the Hetchins. Please don't 'modernise' it, it deserves to keep it's classic period components.

Thanks for the info re Thompson bicycles - all I could find on the web was the ref to tricycles on "Classic Rendezvous"

Midlife":p8atycci said:
I'd try and keep it original :D

as for colour, the Hetchins I came across as mainly original in the early to mid 70's were usually sombre dark metallic colours.....black, green, purple and the unusual ones which pushed the boat out were a Bianchi type blue (less greenish than bianchi).

Deep purple or a darkish metallic green with tastefulk chrome always look dignified :)

Shaun

The bike does have evidence of some chrome under the hand painted black. My grandad had several Hetchins in his time, one I know was all chrome and the other was a lovely metallic/pearl blue. Both bikes were made to order for him in the late 1940s - and both he sold in the early 60s. He tracked the blue one down in the late 80s and had it refurbished - frustratingly he sold it again about 10 years later - a wheeler dealer until the end! The bike I have was built for one of his brothers and came in to his possession.
Colour wise I have seen one in a powder blue colour I think would look good.

Just had a google for powder blue bikes.....

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/new ... 480-70.jpg

If memory serves this looks like the blue hetchins frames I have seen in the dim and distant past......much more of a blue than Bianchi (which is a bit marmite, I'm not a fan).

The darker colours seemed to be favoured by old timers moving on from their Baines Bird Cages LOL

Shaun

Gtpulse":39c95hbs said:
The one I had seen and liked was this one

http://www.hetchins.org/901g.htm

I think it sets it off with the panels of off-white

I'm not a fan of the Bianchi colour either!

Now that is something I just do not understand. Lovely frame in itself - but why the modern equipment on it? Would you put low profile alloy wheels and tyres, blue underbody lighting and a massive sound system onto an Austin 7? If you want modern equipment then buy a modern bike - especially as it isn't top of the range modern at that.

That does look like an original (or copy) Hetchins blue, Usually the curly stays were chromed to about 10" at the rear as well as the lugs and 10" of the forks. :)

Pick the wrong colour blue and it can go a bit pants.......I rode in the pace cars for Falcon and Shimano Dura Ace (behind the legend that was Phil Bayton) and the "Falcon Blue" was just the wrong shade.

I actually ordered a Falcon Team frame at the time but coulndn't stand the blue so had it finished in Pink....... still in the garage LOL.

Shaun

Old Ned":1n0363c2 said:
Gtpulse":1n0363c2 said:
The one I had seen and liked was this one

http://www.hetchins.org/901g.htm

I think it sets it off with the panels of off-white

I'm not a fan of the Bianchi colour either!

Now that is something I just do not understand. Lovely frame in itself - but why the modern equipment on it? Would you put low profile alloy wheels and tyres, blue underbody lighting and a massive sound system onto an Austin 7? If you want modern equipment then buy a modern bike - especially as it isn't top of the range modern at that.

I can understand both sides of the period or modern argument. There are some bikes I've ridden that you just wouldn't touch (or couldn't - try modernising a penny farthing!!), but I don't think that there's any harm using more modern wheels for example for efficiency and also longevity of the originals. I see it as similar to time triallers who only use their race wheels for a race and training wheels the rest of the time.
To use your Austin 7 analogy - a good friend has a couple - Nice and original but I'm sure he won't be taking off the modern charging system and starter motor modification any time soon!

My Hetchins is the bike I ride out of choice.......nothing modern on it at all, but still wants me to ride at least 50 miles before I put it away!
I pray for dry weather to ride it all the time.......it stays in bed in the wet and other rides take over the duties :eek:)

Don't change it please.......And I reccomend 'Ruby Flam' for the paintwork!

The forks are Profile Design carbon/alu. It was a long wait before I found them- 1" threaded steerer carbon forks don't seem to be available at the right price very often. I've also got some original GT Edge carbon/alu forks, they have a bit more rake than the profiles and aero blades, other option is the original GT alu edge forks but the ones I've got are for another frame with shorter steerer.

Back