Bike for the wife for Christmas type thread...

petitpal

Retrobike Rider
GT Fan
Feedback
View
...right, think I mentioned this elsewhere but looking at building up a bike as cheaply (yet as nicely) as possible for the lovely Mrs P for Christmas. Low budget is purely because we are skint (children and all that), just in case you were wondering... anyway, she's not a keen cyclist and would be a very light canal towpath sort of rider.

Given this, I've been looking at various cheapo frames on eBay, and so on, and while I don't want to spend a lot, the hugely keen cyclist in me wants it to be as good as possible - which, obviously, rules out half the stuff on eBay under twenty quid! Anyway, I've spotted a quite cheap jump bike frame of a reasonable make and just wondering how that would build up in to a small framed bike. She's not a hugely confident rider and is likely to use the old low saddle, can reach the floor earily approach ro riding. I'm thinking lower than intended fork travel, possibly rigid, but just wondering what anyone else's views are.

Alternatives are the classic 'ladies step through' type frame but difficult finding anything of a half decent make at a reasonable price that I can get anywhere near to pick up. Slightly worried about getting anything too cheap as very often they handle terribly and wouldn't want to put her off.

Any comments? Thoughts? Ideas?

Cheers,
Paul.

What about barneyballbags GT chucker he will have for sale?

Small jump frames can be ideal. Somewhat heavy (er than an xc frame) but unless you ride weight isnt something you really notice.

Last I heard he was auctioning that at the local pub for the miner's charity, isn't he? (Also, if I get a GT she might get ideas about the Zaskar ;) ).

Quite like the jump bike idea, tbh. The other benefit being that in a few years time if she hasn't ridden it I could build it back up for what it was intended... ooops, did I say that? :oops: :)

Try pinkbike for bikes like that, theyre so abundant theyre pretty cheap. Just dont use paypal gift ;)

I used a small GT Avalanche or Aggressor frame for the bike I built for my missus. You can pick them up cheaply and they're fairly light. Disc and canti mounts too. I repainted the frame and it looks alright (especially as she'll hardly use it). Build must owe me £100-£150 and it's and alright little bike :)

A small Kona worked very well for my Mrs.
Hahannas and Fire Mountains were made down to 14", although a 16" is pretty tiny too.

Back