Some help please re: raleigh 1977 frame looking more 1987

Had a look at the Raleigh Framesets 1987 catalogue - it's a type 8802 531c Luxe:

"Introduced in response to the demand for alternative components on our standard 531C frameset, the luxe version features a cast bottom bracket, Bocama Professional luxe head lugs and cast seat lug. The fork crown is also precision cast, with internal tangs giving a smooth line to the fork. The blades are from the 531 Pro set as are the backstays, and Italian forged frame and fork ends (without eyes) are fitted."

Cheers, Ian :)

hamster":3w39qb4w said:
Well I suppose I can see their point in the sense that 653 and 753 were the same alloy and dimensions, but agree with you that the result was totally different!

In the end a good frame is so much more than just a material choice, with geometry being the most important bit of all.

Hopefully that's something everyone can agree on. Personally I'm skeptical that many of us could detect the differences between materials if we were riding disguised bikes in the dark. Definitely we'd appreciate the differences in geometry (handling etc), but weight and materials, I'm not so sure. Of course they are a factor, but probably less than people think.

...And the really good guys will be the fastest regardless of the bike :LOL:

Couldn't agree more Hamster.

I like the idea of riding disguised bike in the dark :D !

Sounds like fun.

I'm down your way for a 30 mile season finale soon.

Cheers, Roadking.

Thanks again everyone, this sort of thread really puts good info in any readers mind, even when a clash of informations seems to happen :) I am of the school of thought that I never have too much info about anything, simply not enough, so for my mind reading both Hamsters & RK's posts make for better informed :)

"Ian my friend, really appreciate that you have checked your old catalogue, this is priceless, for it is the final piece in the puzzle :)" Thank You.

As I said earlier, every post has helped put the puzzle together quickly, and combined with the sellers honest provenence re: ownership I am happy to badge this up as a Raleigh type 8802 531c Luxe. The original kit of Shimano 600 just about wraps this up as a positive ID on an original non faffed with Raleigh.

Whoever owned this bike must have loved it. Shimano 600 group (good in its day) Mavic rims, 501hubs, Mavic 801 1986 rear mech (1 came in the box of goodies) , gear levers, good then, still good today. I also removed a Campagnolo Triomphe chainset, seatpost, and got the brakes & levers with it (sadly only 1 NOS lever), all in all a very lucky buy for me.

The only downside is "she has to get re-homed once more". The longer I keep it, the harder its going to get to let go, its already killing me to write this, but there are only so many I can house. 2 Faggins, 1 Paganini, 1 Mecacycle, 1 Bonavia, 2 Zeus, and 5 runarounds & 2 mtbs + 3more to come. God has a sick sense of humour, he only gave me 1 pair of legs and 1 body to ride.

I love all my bikes, but I'm 49% collector and 51% rider, and its the rider in me that yearns for miles. Love bikes, probably more than I should, but love riding them even more, but no where near as much as I should :)

I'm thinking a decent low price for this ONLY if it goes to someone who will ride it & love it ( I will be checking potential buyers ) and not for someone to re-sell for a few extra bucks. Will make a seperate post re: sale, thanks again everyone, yours Laz.

It seems a shame not to keep it Laz. Looking at your list of bikes you are lacking a classic British framed bike. If you sell it on I hope it's not my size because all the Raleigh love on here is proving infectious.

Mark.

daccordimark":3ha65i88 said:
It seems a shame not to keep it Laz. Looking at your list of bikes you are lacking a classic British framed bike. If you sell it on I hope it's not my size because all the Raleigh love on here is proving infectious.

Mark.

I agree with Mark Laz.

Perhaps we should have a Retrobike Raleigh Run?

I once had an Italian, bought new from Dauphin Sport, then stolen.

I am an English bike guy now. Hopefully everything I have has some kind of connection or"story"as part of its history.

Roadking.

Now you 2, its already hurting to let go :), but my dream Raleigh is a 753. I know, I know, but something inside says there is a Raleigh SB 753 out there with my name on it, I feel it in my bones.

I know that if I don't let go soon, I've had it. Already tried downgrading her by putting all the original Shimano back on, but much to my horror (well I am a self confessed Campag biased stuck in the mud) she rode even better, and has made things worse, not better.

I love my bikes (ask the missus), but this unassuming bike oozes pure class when ridden, it just melts into my ass and teases my legs to welly it. Maybe it just likes to hear itself whistle :roll:.

By the way RK, on a slightly different note re: 753, "it is often over looked nowadays that 753 was out there on its own when it first appeared and I try to put its here&now values as a tubing into context when reading :)" I love all that technical stuff about its properties, but it was very special back then, and in a way pushed forward other tubing manufacturers to re-think tubing specs. Raleigh did for tubing what Campagnolo did for cycling, just pushed ahead until they got it bang on right.

Such a shame that both companies forgot to stop once perfection had been achieved, and instead chose to "fix what was never broken" with crap marketing and cheapened ideas. Then again, what would life be like without all this developmental stuff and "special units" ??? "unthinkable would be my answer :) Long live the days when riders & frame builders + experience designed bikes, not computers and marketing.

Later fellas, Laz.

PS: stop talking me into keeping her, you both know that's what I want ... just half an excuse ... maybe with this bike a quarter will do it ;)

Hi Laz,

take your point about 753, but I still think a great deal of hype is talked about it now.

BITD I can understand, it was a fine tubeset but not for all applications, for example when I ordered my frame from the SBDU (I went to Ilkeston rather than ordering through a dealer) 531 Pro was suggested for me as a tubeset given what I was using the frame for.

A 531Pro frame is only 100gms heavier than 753r (there were two 753s, r and t - road and track; track slightly lighter than r).

To a certain extent therefore I feel a little smug in that I don't think the SBDU built many frames in 531Pro - despite the tubeset featuring in the brochure.

Mine was certainly one of the last, as 531Pro was replaced by 653 in 1986 - I ordered my frame in 1985 (collected it in '86).

Rk.

Latest posts

Back