SSUK 17/18 Sept - Ashdown Forest

Had a great day at SSUK. It a great event with a really friendly atmosphere that even torrential rain before the race didn't dampen.

The format was 3 laps (reduced because of the conditions) of 5 miles, with a lemans style start. We had to put our bikes in the woods, and walk back to the start line. After the race briefing we were underway, running to where we left our bikes, only to find they had been moved! Some were in piles, stacked neatly in various arrangements, others randomly moved. I ran past looking for the distinctive blue of my swift, and there is was, along with about 15 others! I figured out which was mine and headed off into the mud.

Another unique characteristic of the race was that instead of having race numbers, your name is printed onto your race plate! It really added to the friendly, informal feel of the event. As did the beer stop 2/3 of the way round!

The mud made the course quite hard going, but it was a really fun circuit. Fairly technical in places, and the final decent was a blast.

The bike was flawless, though I would have liked some grippier tyres, and I was very happy with my 15th place, and very ready for my meal, which was included in the entry!

All in all a brilliant day.

Well done Bryan, single speed around there must be very tough. My southern xc escapade was not so successful; sis had to stitch the backside of my cycling shorts back together, I fell off so much on the muddy course! It would be a good venue for future retrobike meets for sure.

Cheers steve, sounds like you had a tough race, did you finish? How did you do? It would be a brilliant retro ride. Not sure how to get permission, any mod folk on here?

Well done Bryan :D wish i could have made it allong but had to work at the last min :cry: but at least i was getting paid for getting soaking wet :LOL: oh well allways next year :roll:

Really good, a tad muddy but a grand weekend........glad I took the Nevgals as spares. The small blocks were "interesting" on the reccie lap Friday, before it poured.

I spent the first lap just trying to stay on, but it got better after. then blagged a ride on the On One prototype Fat bike, lush.......

flash":xzur1sva said:
Really good, a tad muddy but a grand weekend........glad I took the Nevgals as spares. The small blocks were "interesting" on the reccie lap Friday, before it poured.

I spent the first lap just trying to stay on, but it got better after. then blagged a ride on the On One prototype Fat bike, lush.......

Good stuff, pity I didn't spot you, wasn't sure what I was looking for! Or did I chat to you? I was on a swift riding sideways most of the time! I was on summer tyres, which were scary, but no one was getting much grip.

What were you riding? That fat bike was rather cool!

A V braked IF Ti, stealth bike.
IFTiSS.jpg

Nice IF! Didn't spot it. Most of the bikes I saw were the same shade of brown :?

I didn't take any pics, but I'll keep a lookout for any and post here if I find any.

Latest posts

Back