1989 StumpJumper Team - All Done!

Is this the one that was in deepest darkest Cornwall? I was tempted to bid for the group set too but as usual a bit too far to be viable!

Looks good though

the_duke":25ol7c19 said:
Is this the one that was in deepest darkest Cornwall? I was tempted to bid for the group set too but as usual a bit too far to be viable!

Looks good though

Yes it is! We were able to take a sight seeing trip to the Lizard Peninsula, the opposite sticky-outy bit to Landsend, it was just a mile further up the road from the guy's house!

hydorah":2zebp2t9 said:
Yes it is! We were able to take a sight seeing trip to the Lizard Peninsula, the opposite sticky-outy bit to Landsend, it was just a mile further up the road from the guy's house!

:LOL: beautiful place. I initially thought, great it's in cornwall. When I checked the map though I thought, hell, that's as far into Cornwall as you can go before hitting the Atlantic!!!

Good score dude.

yeti-man":1kq13ybd said:
cool bike from the good ol times. are you going to split it or rebuild?

Original plan was to cannibalise it, but it's solid and rideable, so I'll rebuild it

All done

So... I've been very busy on this thing!

First I took it all to bits

Seat post was stuck but as it has a clamp integrated to the frame you can just work a chisel in there and spray WD40 down the gaps that inevitably are forced to open by you expanding the clamp

meanwhile twist the saddle... and soon as the post rotates even the teeniest bit, the battle is won...

Tool time:

dscf3561.jpg

Here's some shots that indicate just how rusty this thing is

dscf3575.jpg

Wire brushed any suspicious bits and poked at them with a screwdriver...

dscf3576.jpg

All good - I got this bike just in time I think

The new WD40 can is pretty cool

dscf3581.jpg

dscf3584.jpg

By the way I only use WD40 for disassembly/cleaning it is no good for anything else in my opinion, too penetrative and too light!

I discovered this when I was building my Look

dscf3579.jpg

By lucky hap my super duper circlip pliers are a perfect fit for driving old XT adjustable BB cups

I had to replace (retire) my Cyclo chain breaker which I have had since the late '80s

I went Cyclo again

dscf3565.jpg

But now they have a pin with a tapered end... My god it's like magic it just finds its way into the chain plate on it's own

The chain was rusty as hell but not seized - I rode this bike!

dscf3568.jpg

This was an unfortunate discovery:

dscf3580.jpg

I'll bet any cup and cone BB bearing I can get now won't be up to snuff so I'll reuse the balls and replace the cage...

OK so it's a skeleton now

The index/friction lever has no cover... Ouch! better fix that - Here's where never throwing anything away comes in handy

dscf3587.jpg

dscf3588.jpg

dscf3589.jpg

Seat post is well corroded, looks like the stuff you see on boat propellers!

dscf3591.jpg

More rust, just starting to get a real good hold... It wouldn't have been long... Months I reckon before the F&F was rotten

dscf3597.jpg

Look at the saddle:

dscf3594.jpg

Never did like Lycra!

Then the fun abruptly stopped. Nitormors could not/would not eat the paint

dscf3604.jpg

This is after three goes. The last time I actually left it so long I had to wash it off

BTW I did it outside, not in the house as the pic may lead you to think!

Bummer man! So I had to scrape the frame, the bits that hadn't been exposed to much Nitormors were easier as the thick paint was sort of brittle

Oh My God!!! I'm nearly done! I did over two evenings, it was hideous

dscf3655.jpg

I'm done! She's naked, look:

dscf3656.jpg

After a lot of sanding:

dscf3658.jpg

Cool forks

dscf3659.jpg

She's ready for paint

dscf3660.jpg

I used 'Rustoleum' as a rust cure and primer in one, never tried it before, it just looked and sounded the part. Can't recommend it more highly, went on smooth and laid up thick without running or sagging

I did this over two days I left out the under side of the BB and the chainstays, then after 24 hours I did those last bits

Plenty of coats!

dscf3661.jpg

I fashioned a means of suspending the frame and the forks in my chamber of semi assembled retro bikes, while the paint hardened

A quick wet and dry and then the same deal with the 'colour' coat I say 'colour' cos isn't black the absence of colour?

dscf3696.jpg

Ready for decals which I'm not doing by the book (catalogue) There it is! I always have to do at least one weird thing per build

Anyway Gil_m (who else?) Is on the case

If you wondering why the paint is flat, that is because on the decals go on I will do many coats of clear to get a crazy deep shine :cool:

Update over!

Great read and atop job as ever hydroah! the frame looks sweet - nicely put together too :D

Very nice score! I have those identical wheels - they are indestructible - I put an 8 speed freehub on mine and re-dished them to make them a bit more versatile, but as long as you pump some fresh grease into them once in a while, and only run them with cantilevers they'll last forever. I suspect they're not the original wheels for the bike, i didn't think RM-17 was available as early as 1989, mine came off a 91 (I think) Schwinn Paramount.

Good work that man. I really thought as I was reading that you were going to give up and find a shotblasting company when the Nitromors wouldn't sort it. Hats off to you for persistence and a large helping of elbow grease :D .

Latest posts

Back