'91 Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East... UPDATED

That is truely a beautiful bike. Love the color combination and the splatter.
The right beast for playing in the mountains and for playing trick or treat on helloween, too.
In my opinion this is the bike of the year but up till now no one ever voted for a bike of mine in any competition so maybe my taste is way out. :D

Its been a while but I've finally finished my Beast of the East :D

The spec is pretty much exactly as I want it.. so no more tweeking. Just need to shorten those cable-outers! There's a possibility that in the future the frame will receive a complete paint/decal overall but for now it is good enough to use as a regular retro hammerer. I took it for spin this afternoon and was nothing but impressed. I haven't actually ridden it 'properly' since Mayhem when it had a dodgy headset and a scary Flexstem :shock:. I've definitely gone soft riding mainly modern and I lost my bottle a couple of times on the downhills; TBH it wasn't totally confident in thrashing a 20 year old aluminum frame :? (I'm such a pussycat!).

Anyway some updated pictures of the final result.

DSCN0583.jpg

DSCN0585.jpg

DSCN0586.jpg

DSCN0588.jpg

DSCN0592.jpg

DSCN0593.jpg

DSCN0598.jpg

DSCN0600.jpg

DSCN0603.jpg

DSCN0605.jpg

Thanks for looking :cool:

That is gorgeous!!

I really want one of the 24" rear wheel versions.... I have my own BOTE, but the RM version... high BB etc - rides like a dream too!

91 dale

i've got a 91 'dale sm500 and i used to run a 150mm t bone stem on it years ago!! but not now! do you not find your weight is right over the front axle with that on?
also i run SID's on mine with a 90mm stem, and it handles so much better than it ever did with rigid forks.

The frame's from that era are superb though, they climb so nicely. And they're not too harsh on the back end either.

Wish my paint finish was even half as nice as yours is though.... :roll: I've owned mine for over 20 years and it's covered a lot of hard miles in it's time!!! :LOL:

Back