can anyone identify my tip bike?

dr nick

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
At the local tip yesterday I was lucky enough to spy a pair of 6 speed deore thumbies and brake levers that I thought would be ideal for the Muddy Fox Sorcerer I was recently given by a friend, as the 200GS (woo) thumbies on that are knckered.

So a tenner later I'm the proud owner of this.

blue_tip_bike.jpg

underneath the blue hammerite it's very yellow and perhaps green and white.
Frame details:

The rear canti hanger is very square in profile.

There's a lug on the seat cluster and the rest is tig'd with unicrown forks, with surprisingly not pressed eyes for rack and guards but really nasty cable guides on the top tube.

seat_cluster.jpg

serial no is: M9AF12760

spec:

Joy tech 1888 solid (not q/r) hubs laced to Araya rims
GS 200 mechs 6 speed
cup and cone b/b

the deore lx pedals, kalloy seat post & Vetta saddle and deore thumbies and MT63 brake levers look like upgrades

I assumed it was a 'gas tube' frame... can anyone help with who might have made it? especailly as my 12 y/o step daughter is keen to identify it,
and I'm keen to encouage the retro-bike gene in her... :D

cheers
Nick

well, one strip down later..... here she is...

tip_bike_refurb.jpg

I had it powder coated by a local powder coating firm for £40 - not fantasitic but certainly good enough.

I bought a NOS headset from the LBS (£10) but the pack was so yellowed we didn't realise it was an ahead headset so I only used the cups and the other bits from a tatty Deore XT headset I had

A cartridge bottom bracket (£20) finished of the spending as theperiod green brake cables from the LBS in exchange for a pack of biscuits!

Orher parts i had lying around are:

A terry Kevlar saddle,
the stem that came wit the overbury's F&F (bought in this here parish),
A pair of strong bars from the parts box
Shimano low pro cantis with XTR pads! (again from the parts box)

and finally some retrobike stickers. so for just over £80 there's an as new bike in the fleet....

Perfect for the step sprogs to use! As is this...

e_stay.jpg

I found it today when buying a s/h mower from a retired chap in the next village. His son had emigrated and Dad wanted some cash for the Rotary charity. So I offered him £20

no idea what it is - the only sticker says reactor 9000, but it's got nice (but low end) 7 speed thumbies, HG 50 (!) hubs Alesa rims, an Altus rear mech, and Tioga Farmer John's cousin tyres!!

I'd have preferred fully rigid, but it means that the step sprogs are sorted out for (retro) rides. Low end, low budget, but fit for purpose - if they get enthused they can graduate to the Muddy fox soarer.....

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... =muddy+fox

if, when i finish it next week when the bits arrive, i let them near it :D

never has my inner bike snob 'volume control' been turned down so low!

I suspect that the top one might be a Dawes. The seatpost detail looks identical to my tandem.
However the canti hanger looks completely different. :?

I agree with brock....the frame screams ridgeback to me (as does the stem, rack mounts, and presence of joytech hubs, though those could have come off something else maybe). I am guessing its circa 1988. I am now thinking of the madison catalogue at the time which had some lovely ridgebacks in it.

Back