1992 GT Tequesta - wreck rescue!

Success! Got the BB cup out before heading off to work. I had the correct spanner but previous attempts had resulted in it slipping an taking my knuckles out.
I realised I had to clamp the spanner onto the BB to stop it slipping off sideways. I got my trusty headset press (well threaded bar with huge thick washers and nuts on) and did this. Wouldnt shift by hand at first so I held the frame upright with the rear dropouts on the floor and used my foot to lever it. A big crack and the corrosion was broken and it started to wind out.

Pic of set-up:

f4cb0ad9.jpg

No damage I think, all ok!! Didn't have time to take it all the way out but did a couple of turns and it was coming out ok.
Big relief as those spanner flats on the cup aren't very big and I didn't want to have to cut it out after rounding the flats off.
Phew!!

the sence of relief when you get a stuck b/b, seatpost out is one of lifes
great highs imo :LOL:

looking good Rob

mikee":3g78m0hr said:

looking good Rob

Very true. We're a sad lot though, aren't we? :D

Drencrom":1aletfoc said:
mikee":1aletfoc said:

looking good Rob

Err no! We are at the pinnacle of cycling cool. Top class bicycle engineers hand picking the cream of MTB history, restoring it with engineering excellence and artistic flair, then displaying it on this hallowed site like an online rival to the Tate Modern, earning respect and gratitude and undying love from a world of desperate cyclists overburdened by platform damping and hydroformed tubing.

We are not a small band of ageing old duffers huddled in cold sheds and cellars desperately maintaining long forgotten bits of steel and aluminium, forever battling against colour co-ordination issues, tyre logo positioning errors and bafflingly complicated cantilever brake adjustments. We do not endure the moans from long suffering partners confused about why there are 17 different front mechs in the cleaning cupboard or why the house constantly smells of Autosol, or even more why their husbands have bought yet another "pub bike" even though they never go to the pub. We are not experts in conducting cycle business transactions solely using paypal or managing to secure a long lost part for EXACTLY the amount left in the aforementioned account.

So there. :-D

Rob Atkin":2ib0nxc4 said:
Drencrom":2ib0nxc4 said:
mikee":2ib0nxc4 said:

looking good Rob

Err no! We are at the pinnacle of cycling cool. Top class bicycle engineers hand picking the cream of MTB history, restoring it with engineering excellence and artistic flair, then displaying it on this hallowed site like an online rival to the Tate Modern, earning respect and gratitude and undying love from a world of desperate cyclists overburdened by platform damping and hydroformed tubing.

We are not a small band of ageing old duffers huddled in cold sheds and cellars desperately maintaining long forgotten bits of steel and aluminium, forever battling against colour co-ordination issues, tyre logo positioning errors and bafflingly complicated cantilever brake adjustments. We do not endure the moans from long suffering partners confused about why there are 17 different front mechs in the cleaning cupboard or why the house constantly smells of Autosol, or even more why their husbands have bought yet another "pub bike" even though they never go to the pub. We are not experts in conducting cycle business transactions solely using paypal or managing to secure a long lost part for EXACTLY the amount left in the aforementioned account.

So there. :-D

You got me. :D

I'll show this to the better half later, and she'll agree 100%. Especially with the front mechs! :oops:

Saddle has arrived!! Just waiting on cranks and then need to buy a BB and cables (how much are they nowadays - YOWSERS)
Just got a lead on some l bend onza barends as well. :)
49e82dde.jpg

Cranks have arrived!!
Deore DX, nicely polished. :)
33fa4034.jpg

Just ordered STX headset too.

Touched up the frame last night. I'm no artist and don't have a lot of patience but it looks a bit better anyway. I don't think it'd ever look showroom fresh without a respray anyway. I suppose it's "patina", a word I hate to use as it sounds like your bike is a mahogany sideboard. :-/

STX Headset arrived today. Really nice finish and seems really good quality. Stack height might be lower than previous headset, not sure what to do about that at the moment.
e86e3e13.jpg

Latest posts

Back