Trailwright's 1992 GT Avalanche - full XT build

trailwright

GT Fan
I haven't posted a build thread here previously as I'm just too impatient to be taking pictures and like to get on with things. However, I've had my GT Avalanche for a couple of years now since buying at a good price from a fellow member TC on here, and have not yet built it up from when I received it, let alone ride the thing.

Now, as it arrived, I could easily have overlooked the seized bottom bracket (still spun smoothly enough) and just got on with assembly of the standard Deore DX componentry; it was all in reasonable nick. But various things intervened and it sat forelonly awaiting that moment until earlier this year when I decided to get on with it. First job, remove the BB for a clean. Easier said than done. No amount of WD40 soaking and spanner wielding was getting that UN51 fecker out, so loathe as I am to admit defeat it was off to the LBS to have a bash. Sure enough a few days later it was out, and the frame along with a solid steel axle and a pile of bagged shrapnel was duly returned. The frame was then hung up again and life got in the way...

But now I'm back on the case properly this time. Right, what will I start with? How about a bottom bracket. Rummage rummage in the small pile of old odds and sods including a few Shimano bottom brackets. Nothing quite the right size, but wait, what's this? An old right hand XT thumbshifter, it's brother long since vanished. That would be good to get back on, especially seeing as this is a seven speed! But that means trying to find a left hand shifter, and spending money when the XT rapidfires that are already on are perfectly good. What the hell, let's check out the RB classifieds...

You can see where this is going!

And here we are, one month down the line and I've accumulated through much waiting and auction watching, a full complement of XT bits to replace a perfectly functional Deore DX groupset, just because of some old thumbie, which as it turns out I'd stripped the bracket threads (nod to the 'Things made of cheese' thread here) many years ago. Here's a look at where things are so far:
20220602_195549.JPG
20220602_195815.JPG
One bit that I had the same issue with on my other GT was the tiny nut and bolt that holds the unique u-brake cable crosser. This is one of those easily overlooked parts that seizes over the years, but when an attempt is made to remove the nut rounds off the plastic recessed holder in which it sits. only solution for removal is to hacksaw the bolt in half. The problem is then trying to find another similar nut and bolt that will fit (well it a problem to me anyway!) This time I've loctited the nut in place and copiously greased everything. Should be good now:
20220602_201548.JPG

Right, onto that thumbshifter shortly...

And we're back. I don't know where the time has gone. So about that thumbshifter.

As I mentioned, I discovered that the bolt had long ago stripped. This is a common problem with these for two reasons I believe. 1. A steel bolt being cranked into soft alloy is always a risk. Normally not an issue if care is taken, but the reason this happens is the 2nd reason. 2. It looks like the diameter of the thumbie clamp is just a teeny, tiny bit larger than the standard bar cross section diameter. This menas that the thumbie clamp will tighten down onto the bar but just not quite enough and the gap in the clamp is fully closed at this point. Any further torquing makes no difference to the clamping ability and the only give is then in the threads.

Anyway, I have had to resort to forcing into the old threads a 5mm bolt which has worked. I also created a very thin shim from a juice can for both sides to increases by a fraction the bar diameter. A victory here is the result!
20220602_195708.JPG

With everything else all scrubbed and polished it was time for the assembly.

I managed to source some lovely grey Araya RM20s and I used the obligatory Flight saddle from my collection of these as well as a T-bone I've had stored for the past 30 years. Some old Wildgripper tyres finish things off.

And so I present a fully XT'd 1992 GT Avalanche which I think looks the business...
20220615_194352.JPG 20220708_175939.JPG 20220708_180017.JPG 20220708_180139.JPG 20220708_180206.JPG 20220708_180217.JPG 20220708_180300.JPG 20220708_180324.JPG 20220708_180154.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back