Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

makster

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I've just got back from a 28 mile ride over the Purbecks. It was a perfect day for riding. Unbroken sunshine and not a breath of wind.
Whats so bad about that you may ask....well this happened to my Rock Lobster :(

CIMG0260.jpg

CIMG0263.jpg

I noticed what I thought may have been a crack when I got to the highest point of the ride (the legendary MMF!) but couldn't decide if it was just the paint cracking (its a pretty ropey paint job. Kind of rattle can on top of the original green) so decided to carry on. Against the advice of my friends, I decided the best test was to go as fast as I could down the rocky decent into Corfe. I got airbourne a few times and made it all the way to the bottom with both me and frame in one piece.
Test done I settled down to a nice cuppa and a slice of Dorset apple cake at the cafe.
I climbed back up with no hints of the trouble ahead, and then flew down the very rocky /bumpy decent down towards the Swanage to Studland road.
Still, all is well. Its only when I'm sedately rolling down towards Old Harry Rocks and do a small ump that it all gives up.
I limped back to the pub and borrowed some tape for an emergency repair (that got me all the way home, even booting it on the big ring!).

The worst part of this is that today was the first ride since I got this build exactly as I want it. I only finished putting the new Goodridge cable set on yesterday :roll:

I'll be looking to get this repaired ASAP as I'm due to be riding the Lobster in the Lakes in just over a weeks time!

As gutted as I am, I'm very aware that I could well be in casualty now. Had this gone while doing 35mph on rock and chalk, I doubt I'd be telling this story for a while!

:( Absolutely gutted for you I know absolutely love the bike...

What caused it to go?. Any idea's, I take it the frame material is 853?

Still the main thing is that it didn't go at speed!.

Think you where pretty lucky with all the fast decents etc, and it already being cracked that she held out as long as she did.

:cry:

flinkin blip!!! :shock: :shock:

i know you really like this frame, why not send it to a full on frame builder to be repaired and get an awesome paint job aswel, will cost a bit but i find that when you find a frame you like a it's worth spending the money on it to keep it going.

does this leave you without a bike at the mo?

Could of been nasty if it went on the 90 degree left turn on the decent of ballard down towards Olg harrys & studland it always strikes me that it wouldnt take much to send you off and down the cliff at that point!

You going to get it rewelded?

Thats bad Mark :shock: :shock: Looks as if you have taken a tin opener to it, were there any beans inside :LOL:

Strange on a steeley though? isnt it ?

I have a saracen you can always borrow ;)

JeRkY":3faz7ac2 said:
Could of been nasty if it went on the 90 degree left turn on the decent of ballard down towards Olg harrys & studland it always strikes me that it wouldnt take much to send you off and down the cliff at that point!

You going to get it rewelded?

I was about half a mile away from that said corner, and heading there, when it went!
I count myself pretty lucky that it gave up where it did.
Its all stripped down now and I'll be making some calls tomorrow to see if there is anywhere local that can have a pop at a repair.
I'm not going to throw loads of money at a frame that's already failed in one area when it could quite easily go again somewhere else.

@jonny...I've got plenty of bikes here, but nothing that I'd really want to ride around the lakes for 3 days.
If this isn't fixed this week, I'll be buying something else :roll:

Back