employment law

orbeas

Retro Guru
any members experts on employment law
the company I have worked for for 12 years are trying to alter my contract of employment without discussion
help needed ???

Not an expert but not I'd imagine unless it is due to a change in law etc.

One of my old firms tried to wangle the contracts so you couldn't move to a competitor in 12months, uproar and union involvement ensued.

Worth joining a union maybe?

New contract not valid until you sign it. You should read your old contract thoroughly for clauses for changes.

Easy_Rider":351y9b1j said:
New contract not valid until you sign it. You should read your old contract thoroughly for clauses for changes.

If you work for a period of time under a new contract's terms I belive its taken as signed.

Go to CAB when they reopen. I think you can reject the terms.

fingers":2aohx76c said:
Easy_Rider":2aohx76c said:

If you work for a period of time under a new contract's terms I belive its taken as signed.

Go to CAB when they reopen. I think you can reject the terms.

90 days notice they have to give you to change you contract ... so they can do wot they want

If you are really unlucky they can get rid of your old job and make you apply for a new job with in the company ..... lower paid, further away ect.
Most people leave with out being made redundant

Ordinarily not a Union fan, took me 7 years to join the one I'm with now, but I reckon join a Union if you can and get them involved ;)

velomaniac":2rjqhe15 said:
Ordinarily not a Union fan, took me 7 years to join the one I'm with now, but I reckon join a Union if you can and get them involved ;)

Union = broken pencil

Pointless

Filled with self serving twats
But that's my point of view

llamedos":1blwn5io said:
velomaniac":1blwn5io said:

Union = broken pencil

Pointless

Filled with self serving twats
But that's my point of view

Unions looking after the injustice of certain individuals, great, but usually they just destroy the industry they represent through unrealistic goals and greed.

I agree unions are only good for individual representation, although in this they are really good. They go wrong when they try to flex political muscle, they tend to forget thats what MP's and the houses of Parliament are for :roll:

Last night on BBC2 where they were celebrating "Are You Being Served", one of the fictional shop stewards said," I would now like to place a motion on the table", to which Mrs Slockem remarked about the peculiar language unions use :LOL: :LOL:

The best thing to do is discuss the changes with your boss. There is an assumption in law that if you continue to work for the company without raising your concerns about the new contract that you have accepted the changes.

Open dialogue is normally the best way to sort issues such as this and there may be a good reason for the changes that you haven't considered. Equally the employer may not realise that you are unhappy and could be more than willing to alter your contract.

Back