bloody dogs

Anthony

Retrobike Rider
I find I get chased by dogs most days (only when I'm on a bike though!)

Yesterday I got fed up with this particularly irritating one that was trying to bite me, so I stopped the bike and really roared at it (funnily enough, I have quite a loud shouting voice, even though I'm such a meek and mild person). After a few seconds of this, the dog decided to make a circle round me and then ran for it, with me roaring after it. Hopefully after that experience it'll be less inclined to chase bikes in future. I find this usually works, but I must admit I haven't been attacked by a dangerous breed, and I don't know what the best policy is then.

What do you guys do?

I stupidly decided to take on a deerhound type thing. Might have been crossed with the hound of the Baskervilles though.

My technique ended up with a fair bit of bleeding.

I remember reading - it could have been in MBUK - that dogs chase you because your drivetrain is squeaking at a pitch too high for the human ear, but that dogs can hear.

It sounded plausible enough .....

Alternatively, don't nick their bones.

This is a problem as old as cycling. I remember seeing a vintage solution in a mag once. It was (I think) a .25 caliber. The first couple of rounds were salt pellets. If the hound was intent on mayhem the rest of the rounds were lead. Harsh but fair.
I am thinking this approach wouldn't be allowed now.

very rarely i have issues with dogs . i just stop and try to be friendly .

I hate dogs , they chase because they are arseholes :LOL:

I often ride along a canal so theres plenty of dogs to pass , no matter how slow I go or how many orders the owners bleet they still jump across your front wheel . fookers

A mate hopped a dog once , the owner wasn't too pleased but what did she expect letting it run off , he could have just as easily run it over .

Carry an air pistol and shoot the waste of space then shoot the owner for having a badly behaved dog not on a lead

Back