lewis1641

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Advice needed people. Just had a call from a good friend. She's been shopping in a well known clothes shop and a song came on the shop radio which was written by my wife. It isn't her singing but the friend is convinced its her song- she was singing along to it as she was shopping! My wife is off to the store tomorrow to get their play list. Any advice?

any restaurant , shop etc has to pay a license to play music .

a sticker should be displayed showing that they are part of the scheme .

That's not so much the problem. The problem is who ever sorts out the music for the stores has used her song but re recorded it with someone else,s guitar and vocals so any royalties will be going to that artist (or more likely company)

how is that any different to anyone doing a cover version? I don't understand how copyright works in those cases.

Not sure about that. If there's a company that's managing the music for the shop/restaurant & charging them for that service, then you could go back to them but likely it will lead to the artist/record company and you'll have to take it up with them. Restaurants/shops aren't required to pay any artist/group for the music they play because it's not their primary business i.e. a shopkeeper who has a CD changer w/ music playing for customers doesn't have to pay the record company twice (once for the CD and again each time he plays it - that's for radio stations).

Cover versions are done with permission and royalties are agreed. In terms of shops and resteraunts as mentioned above, you need to buy an annual licence to play music in public.

it is called the PPL .

best way is to contact them and explain the situation .

SF Klein":2a34usoj said:
Not sure about that. If there's a company that's managing the music for the shop/restaurant & charging them for that service, then you could go back to them but likely it will lead to the artist/record company and you'll have to take it up with them. Restaurants/shops aren't required to pay any artist/group for the music they play because it's not their primary business i.e. a shopkeeper who has a CD changer w/ music playing for customers doesn't have to pay the record company twice (once for the CD and again each time he plays it - that's for radio stations).

Erm they do, it's called Performing rights licence, any shop, office, workshop any business that plays music or the radio has to pay for a licence. I mean anywhere, even if it's a small office with 2 workers and you have the radio on you have to pay for a licence. Even if you work on your own but a member of the public "may" come in once in a blue moon, you need a licence. The performing rights company destribte the revenue to the artists in a scaling format.

There was even a case where a woman played Tibetan music that she bought from Tibet recorded by local tibetan musicians in her Tibetan trinket shop, she had to pay, even though those Tibetan musians wouldn't recieve a penny.

When you buy a CD, you should notice on it something like "not for pubic performance"

A load of tosh if you ask me, they are getting payed twice, especially the radio :evil:

As per OP, i'm not sure how this works but i would have thought they would need your wifes permission to record the cover if they are planning on selling it :? but what about all these x-factor people, do they need to pay the artist for performing their song on TV :?

Exactly - and by definition, a bar/restaurant/workplace/etc. is a PRIVATE establishment. Private means you could cite someone from trespassing in your establishment and ask them to leave. Public means an area that is open to the general public - shops let the public in but if the shopkeeper wanted to ask someone to leave, they could because it's not a public place.

Back