A Rambler Epiphany

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Ok, so there I am yesterday, covering ground on the cross bike, mainly along well known walker laylines aka; The South Downs Way.

And I passed a lot of people.

And a few bikers.

And a couple of motocross riders.

And a horse.

The issue I have here is that I said hello to all (except the motocross riders on the principle they were both illegal and dangerous at the time and they couldn't hear me with full face helmets on at 50mph!). The mountain bikers were sort of friendly (probably just embarrassed at being overtaken off road by a chap on a racing bike...:) ) but the foot users....

I have come to the conclusion that outsiders on foot fall into three categories.

a) Amateurs.

These wander off into the outer edges of the nature in trainers and sunburn and don't say hello, not because they are grumpy, but rather that they are from the urban and don't yet know (or have now forgotten) that they can speak to a fellow being and not get mugged or considered a sexpest. No problem with this version

b) Walkers.

These are the friendly ones. The ones that love the outdoors as much as you and I and appreciate that that is what it's all about. The on foot version of the soul rider. No problem here either.

c) Ramblers.

The red sock brigade. This lot are trouble. The Mujahadeen of the outdoor world. They appear to do it for the misery. In that respect I am surprised to find them on the 'tame' South Downs' and not battling the elements in Yorkshire or Basra instead. And The stabilisers...I stopped using stabilisers three decades ago...why do they flail them around like it's the North Face of the Eiger on top of Graffam Woods...?

I can imagine this bunch having a rule that if your beard's not long enough, you're not allowed in - like the Taliban.

This will obviously not stop me trying to break through the 'nay'lines of their weathered faces and corrupt a smile out of them, but sometimes, it does seem like an impossible task.

:D

c) also covers:

the type of person that pretends to jump out at you to slow you down not actually speeding but ragging it from 2nd to 3rd in an MR2

Drives at 40mph on a busy A road designated for 50/ 60mph and stays at 40mph through the 30mph zones

Tells the lone cyclist that 'you shouldnt be on that 'thing' here' - its not environentally friendly in front of 20+ beardies tearing up the local trails

The roadies who frowns in mild anger/ disbelief as you overtake a bunch of them on £4k Felts whilst riding a 1974 Norman Fay Tourer.

there are more...

legrandefromage":3le2a1fl said:
c) also covers:

Drives at 40mph on a busy A road designated for 50/ 60mph and stays at 40mph through the 30mph zones

there are more...

Oh yes, now they're frustrating - suffer a lot of them round here, especially in summer :twisted:

Back to the Ramblers......why do they use Walking Poles.......ALL the time? I regularly hillwalk (ok so I'm a Munro Bagger :oops: ) but I steadfastly refuse to use even one walking pole until I'm at least 65 :p

There were a couple going round Tescos last week in full Rambling Regalia, including.....yep fully extended walking poles. OK so it was the arctic freezer aisle :shock:

I can imagine this bunch having a rule that if your beard's not long enough, you're not allowed in - like the Taliban.

:shock: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Mr Panda":1sytdi25 said:
Back to the Ramblers......why do they use Walking Poles.......ALL the time? I regularly hillwalk (ok so I'm a Munro Bagger :oops: ) but I steadfastly refuse to use even one walking pole until I'm at least 65 :p

Ah, yes, I forgot I was going to include their use of stabilisers...well done....now ammended. :D

i saw one on the canal recently . fair enough go for a walk but its not the wilderness

maybe they wish they were goats :?

why do they pretend to not hear you coming from miles away behind them and make you come to a stop " erm excuse me " they react like youve suddenly appeared

oh well ill just keep to riding on the private land , no walkers there :LOL:

jonnyboy666":3l0fu4qk said:
"the mujahadeen of the outdoor world" :LOL: :LOL:

:cool: Quality *doffs cap to Mr Wu*

My advice to MrS LsD when we encounter a group of ramblers en masse- "slow down, stay quiet- they can bolt if you startle them" :p

perry":13ebgpjs said:
i

why do they pretend to not hear you coming from miles away behind them and make you come to a stop " erm excuse me " they react like youve suddenly appeared

:LOL:

And the standard greeting from this kind of walker to cyclists is "Hey where's your bell?" as you try to get past when they straddle the entire cycle path 4 abreast!! My wheels with Hope hubs are great for advertising my approach though..... that clicking sound gets through to most of them.

:LOL:

i know . i have an acs freewheel that have very loud clacks , my discs howl at the slightest hint of finger movement . my bottom bracket creaks and i have 2.1 tyres on gravel . my bikes whisper quiet :LOL:

i can hear them talking from far away so theres no reason they cant hear . i even regularly look behind so im not holding anyone up . very few walkers do that

why do dogs walk in a straight line then the moment your front wheel is near they turn and step out infront of you . its like they cant look around without taking a very wide line :LOL:

Back