A Rambler Epiphany

Yea ramblers are bloody anoying, sometimes im cycling through the woods, when i pass one u usually get "you shouldn,t be cycling here" or something similar, even though its a forrestry comission path, there aren,t any NO CYCLING signs, and until there are, i will be cycling it.

Bloody ramblers :twisted: :roll: :LOL:

I picked up a trick from riders in Spain and have a cat collar bell on the gear cables just where they cross. There's a light tinkling as I ride along. Normally ramblers hear it.

...Apart from the berk I met the other week who was walking down a FC track with his 5 foot stick strapped ACROSS his rucksack. If I hadn't been alone we could have ridden one each side and leapt onto the stick.

orange71":1xtx5o5o said:
You can't win with some ramblers:

you ring your bell - you frighten them
you sound a horn - you frighten them
you shout a warning from afar - you frighten them
you do nothing - you frighten them

:?

haha, that really made me laugh

perry":3tn2odpm said:
at least they are a dying breed . never any young ones are there :LOL:

They're not a dying breed, unfortunately rambling is a condition that people develop in later life, a bit like soiling yourself. One day someone is normal but then they decide that they will equip themselves for a normal country walk by wearing those bright red socks. When it rains the dye, (which I can only assume is highly toxic) leaks through their skin and into their blood turning them into the nightmarish folk we encounter on the trails. The dye also appears to promote facial hair growth and extremely weak legs (hence the need for the poles). I'm surprised it hasn't been banned!

I dislike the ones that know youre coming but stolidly refuse to move one way or the other.Like they own the trail and expect you to dismount to get passed them
:evil:
I have lost the rag with a couple of them over the years

I usually tell them ''lets do this again only this time 'ill barrel straight into you,you dumb F***wit

All kinds of good karma must be coming my way, as almost everyone that I meet out on the trails, be they walkers, enduro riders, trials riders, horse riders and farmers is never less than courteous and friendly (as I am to them, of course).

On the very rare occasions that I meet someone who seems a bit snotty that's all the more reason that I'll stop and have a quick yarn with them - once they see that I'm just a fairly normal and reasonable person (and probably older than them) they pretty soon come round. This works all the better on cheeky trails where (strictly speaking) I shouldn't be riding anyway.
I do lots of riding like that though...... :oops:

yeah, the air zound is good. Effectively loud and free to refill from your pump. The piping on mine has corroded, so needs binning.
Wont win you any rambling friends tho'. Thought of buying some for the kids bikes, but they'll probably end up with the frame wrapped round their necks by some irate pedestrian.

So true about the rambler types. Lots of cycle tourists with attitudes like that as well (and i'm a CTC member)

As someone that lives on a boat, I have to say please don't use an airzound.
You'll only win friends amongst smug, elitist cycle millitants. Seriously, if a cyclist used one on me while I was walking my dog on the towpath they could well end up swimming.

You beat me to it...they type who are still grumbling that you can't get decent screw-on freewheels any more.... :D
THEY WENT OBSOLETE 20 YEARS AGO FFS!

Back