Lake District?

haggis

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
So i'm turning 31 in 3 days and when i get back onshore i've decided to treat myself to a few nights in a tent somewhere in the Lake District with my bike. Anyone got any local knowledge of where i can go for some epic rides ie around 20-30miles and the type that if i was heading down there i wouldn't want to miss. I'm looking at going for 2 nights so possibly looking for ideas for around 3 days riding and maybe a decent campsite. I've been on a few websites but thought maybe someone on here could offer me a bit more help. Links to a good website with downloadable trail maps also very much appreciated if possible. Cheers very much guys.

Cant help you as regards off road other than the two trail centres at Whinlatter (recommended) and Grizedale (dont bother). As for tarmac, there is loads of narrow B-roads, twisty, steep climbs and descents, brilliant veiws.

Oh, there is an old coach road from near Keswick to Ulswater, rough track most of the way, thats meant to be worth a go. Also the cyclepath from Threkeld to Keswick is very scenic with a very cool terraced bridge like section around the edge of a steep hill, Some good landrover tracks over the hills as well.

The Camping and Caravan Club site at Keswick down by the lake is a great place to watch the sun going down over the lake with full facilities.
Alternatively down the Borrowdale valley by Longthwaite there is a campsite run by a farm, really basic but just down the road from one of the best pubs in lakeland, 'The Langstrath Arms', beer and food are great and the valley beyond it is really spectacular !

Ah to be 31 again, its the big 40 for me this year, have fun but beware the Cumbrian midges, almost as bad as Scotlands !

Cheers Velo the langstrath arms sounds good to me. What was up with Grizedale? that was one of the places i had looked at as i quite liked the idea of heading past Coniston as some of the views looked good. Did seem a bit short though :roll:

I see you a big fan of the Traquair trail at innerleithen now. Love it myself, all except that brutal first climbing section. Thats just evil dude :twisted:

I went to whinlatter a couple of weeks ago, its well worth a visit!
I notice its in MBR this month too.....

Grizedale is a lot of effort for little reward, loads of climbing on very rough single track, loads of land rover track, no particularly rewarding descents or technical stuff. The trail is hardwork and dull, more effort and thought has gone into Whinlatter, whereas Grizedale feels like it was quickly slapped together as a stopgap measure.

Get a pint or several of Jennings numerous beers down you, better than our Scots rubbish ;)

Velo

If you want the views of consiston theres a route called 'Tour of Coniston' that was printed in one of the mags a while ago and is superb, possibly my favourite ride.

Other ideas would be to investigate routes that include 'High Street' - a bit of hike a biking at the start is usually necessary but after that its a great gently sloping downhill ride.

Edit - This site here -
http://www.offroadadventures-online.com/
has details of the tour of consiton ride, as well as a high street route and the Helvellyn route that I've been meaning to try for 5+years but never got around to ... looks superb though. Just click the 'single day epics' link at the bottom of the main page. The Back of skiddaw route is another good ride but a bit short for an epic - although you can lengthen it by riding up to the top of Skiddaw itself and back down again.

Steve T.

Get yourself a copy of Lake district mountain biking,essential trails by Chris Gore and Richard Staton.It has quality riding very well presented all over the lakes,I did some of the rides when I was there a couple of weeks ago and too be honest Whinlatter pailed into insignificance compared to some of these old skool loops :D
I've also done quite alot of riding in Grizdale forest and while the north face trail is a bit short there is loads of other stuff in there,it takes alot of exploring though!
I rode Whinlatter on a day of bad weather when it wouldn't have been wise to venture to high and to be honest I thought this was also a little short,a lap of both the north and south loops taking less than 1.5 hours,in the dry this would be even less.It is worth a visit and it is good fun but there is so much more out there,if you ask at the shop they'll point you in the direction of some other stuff.
All depends where you stay,if you stay further south,for Grizdale etc,call in Bike Treks in Ambleside aswell as being a good source of infomation they also do weekly night rides.
You can maybe tell I quite like the lakes :oops:

cheers very much guys, that Coniston route looks exactly like what i'm looking for Steve and i just bought that exact book this morning before reading your reply MJN. Can't get on multimap for some reason to see exactly where the skyside site is located but it says its within 15miles of everywhere so it looks like i'm sorted :D :D :D Was on ebay the other day checking out tents and its not really something that i check the price on regularly but you can buy a Gelert tent for £20 which pretty much sets itself up :shock: :shock: Anybody have experience with these?

unless the weather is bad there's no need to visit trail centres as there are sooooo many bridleways that crisscross the Lake District. Just get an OS map and make something up :D (Just pay attention to the contours as some can be a carry/slog.)

Back