Turbo Trainer Help Needed!!!!

Drewson

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
OK, this waistline has gone far enough!! I've been out of the saddle for exactly 1 year tomorrow following a broken wrist sustained at Dalby, and i'm getting to the age where it's kinda easy to gain adipose tissue, but not so easy to get rid of it :( .....therefore.....

I need a Turbo Trainer.....and preferably one with programmes that link up to the PC so that i can push myself against computer generated pedalheads....i'm sure i saw a Mountain Bike World Cup program which looked right up my strata.... :D I need something like this to keep my motivation up.

Unfortunately i just can't risk going out on a bike as it may result in damage that will be harder to recover from. :cry:

I'm looking to spend £200-£300, but if i get a good deal for less then so be it...... However, I do tend to be the kind of person that likes to buy the best (i.e. a mug probably :roll: ), so i'll see what people suggest i need to spend to get a top notch machine.....

I would stick my road bike on it, but i'm possibly looking to sell it. So are these trainers equally happy running 26" wheels? 'Cause my C16R has always been a great bike to use on roads as well as off....
If it's daft to get rid of the Fondriest road bike then i could keep it purely for the Turbo Trainer i guess.....any thoughts on this too? :?

Any advice very gratefully received....let me know what u think is best... ;)

"I need a Turbo Trainer.....and preferably one with programmes that link up to the PC"

and

"I'm looking to spend £200-£300"

Sorry. It's one or the other.

Unless you find something used. You need to spend about £150 more to get computer connectivity features.

Elite Real Axiom CT is the best buy at the moment but you're up at £600. But the training features in the software are absolutely miles ahead of the best Tacx has to offer. It's also quieter and has a nicer "ride". But there are software issues to be aware of.

On the other hand Tacx has a more powerful motor on their Fortius trainer, which you have to spend £900 to meet with the Elite Real Power, which I've not yet tried.

"I would stick my road bike on it, but i'm possibly looking to sell it. So are these trainers equally happy running 26" wheels? "

I recommend using home trainer specific rear tyre (rolls better, makes less noise, lasts longer and sheds less debris) and for this you need a road bike. Knobblies on a home trainer are a definite no-no.

You'll also welcome the variation in sitting position that drops will give you.

my trainer sits opposite a pc so i spend my time watching all manner of crap , loudly :LOL:

cateye did a thing that meant you could use your effort to control playstation games , ie pedal faster your car drove quicker

you could sell your good road bike and get a much cheaper one off the bay

Back