Any BMW E46 experts in the house?

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
What can be causing this?
I get a shudder through the steering wheel on my 1999 BMW 323i E46 under braking
But not all the time
And at different levels of severity
Garage pal checked all front bushing etc and all fine
Steering rack thingy no play
Brake balance within tolerance

Had the same thing on my C class. Discs had hit minimum thickness and the vibration was the edge of the pad catching the unworn lip.

Would agree with warped discs more than likely being the cause. If so you can either replace or see if the garage offers a skimming service which removes the high points responsible for warped roughness returning them back to even. Compare the prices new vs skim and also how worn the discs are, if they are quite worn then money wise it makes sense to go new..

The other option could be a faulty abs senor but try the disc check first.

KDM":3dmfwg2o said:
Would agree with warped discs more than likely being the cause. If so you can either replace or see if the garage offers a skimming service which removes the high points responsible for warped roughness returning them back to even. Compare the prices new vs skim and also how worn the discs are, if they are quite worn then money wise it makes sense to go new..

The other option could be a faulty abs senor but try the disc check first.

Many thanks...appreciated all :D

Re:

I would go with sligjt warping of the discs or a build up of brake dust and grime on the pad carriers causing the pad not to centralise properly.

Price is of little consequence where brakes are involved. (I know money doesn't grow on trees)

Good quality discs and pads are not to dear for an e46, I wont bore you with the story of a failed disc brake after skimming, but better safe than (possibly) sorry.

Back