solid state drives

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I'm liking the idea of SSD in my main old desktop computer - its SATAII connections as pictured below

56888-151963-290.jpg

daft question if this sort of thing is everyday to you, are there SATAII SSD drives?

would this just plug straight in?

http://www.ebuyer.com/387080-sandisk-12 ... oCxsrw_wcB

I havent refurbed a desktop in about 4 years so am very out of date...

Re:

The crucial ones seem to be a good price and recommended for their price/performance.

You can also pop in your motherboard computer and it'll tell you if they are compatible.

I just about to buy some new part but decking hell there are alsorts of different ssd connectors popping up on motherboards now. Makes it highly confusing looking to buy a board.

Yes. Plug and play.
I've just updated my 2010 desktop with an ssd. Samsung 850pro iirc.
Biggest job is reinstalling Windows.

The corsair ssd that I replaced with the Samsung (had some bad sectors) is now acting as a handy spare drive....... And I've still got some sata ports left!

Make sure you've got spare power cables. I ended up needing a new psu, as the power connectors on the original one were in the wrong place. (And the psu was really struggling as well!)

Re:

You can indeed run a SATA III drive on a SATA II port. However it will be limited to 375MB/s, so it will not run at its full potential. It'll still be one hell of a lot faster than a hard disk though.

The cables themselves aren't a problem, that standard hasn't changed and the so-called "SATA III cables" are just a marketing trick to bump the price tag.

Re:

Solid state hard drives certainly give a nice option for faster transfers, but on older machines I tend to encounter plenty other bottlenecks. Where they really work is to quiet down machines. I have an old laptop with a very quiet heat pipe system that was ideal for silent applications, once I shoved a wee SSD in it became totally silent at normal distance.

Re:

Sandisk, Crucial, Kingston all good and cheap very reliable on the whole.

Bigger the SSD capacity the more parallel channels to increase throughput but not noticeable on SATA2 so go 128/256 and stick pics and vids on a traditional drive.

If your putting Win 7 on there disable Windows Search service after re-install (type services.msc, find Windows Search, right click disable), most people don't but there is no point in indexing an SSD its quick as anyway and the disable will give you a speed boost.

Back