Royal Mail - Airmail Letter, Small Packet Question

Robbied196

Senior Retro Guru
The more I read the Royal mail website the more confused I'm getting :facepalm:

I'm sending a small padded envelope to the USA (130mm x 170mm) about 8mm thick and it weighs 12g.

I was going to pay for Airmail small packet which is £3.50 but then out of curiosity I looked at Airmail letter which is £1.28. They say the maximum weight for a letter is 2kg???? Surely that can't be right.

The question is, do I have a letter or a packet?

I also noticed Airmail is ending on the 31st March and being renamed International Standard.

The new streamlined business model is also slipping in an increase in postage cost at the same time.

Hi Robbie,

I sent stuff airmail recently and really it is a matter of popping into the post office to get their decision - I suspect that a letter is a 'letter' - i paid the around £8 for a HS posted to Finland 2 weeks ago.

Richard

TGR":331tojaf said:
Hi Robbie,

I sent stuff airmail recently and really it is a matter of popping into the post office to get their decision - I suspect that a letter is a 'letter' - i paid the around £8 for a HS posted to Finland 2 weeks ago.

Richard

Hi Richard,

I guess its just one of those things where they have a fixed price. £3.50 seems expensive, but then again, I've sent much larger items and they've been £3.50 as well!

RM pricing really has me stumped most times, it usually works to go in and see what the options are.

I think that last year they raised all their prices around March and then something else changes - perhaps the sizing of their small parcels which completely muddied the waters regarding costs. And, as you well know, I am easily confused!!

Would you happen to have a ballpark figure for posting a bike from England to here? (this relates to something completely different)

Richard

Robbied196":ngvbgg8i said:
I've not posted a bike in a while but its actually easier to price :)

Try http://www.p4d.co.uk

If its boxed up in a bike box, say 20kg, 140cm x 70cm x 20cm it should be around £22 with Yodel

Don't ever send a bike with Yodel, not if you want it to arrive in one piece, and straight. Use senditnow.com for £13.02 (Parcel Force)

TGR":3be5mnc9 said:
Hi Robbie,

Richard

Letter meaning paper documents up to 2kgs

Nob,

You could be right, but the 2kg of paper would have to fit into the 'slot' they use for sizing - perhaps you have heavy paper.

Richard

Back