legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Yes, another car question.

I get paid £2k a year car supplement and 26p a mile.

I can travel anything up to 1000 miles a week, 48 weeks a year, motorway and A road. Sometimes back roads if the traffic is bad.

Current cars I own are two Fiat Doblos:

Doblo number 1 is on 202,000 miles, a 52 plate 1.9 JTD 100bhp and held together by hope and luck. It goes, it gets anything up to 72mpg (following wind) with 60+ most days. I drive the tits off it, not fast top speed but keeping speed into corners and such like, as best you can with a tupperware box that constantly wants to understeer into the nearest hedge. The EGR has been blanked off for over 3 years and its due its 3rd cambelt change with us.

Doblo number 2 is a disaster. Initially bought to replace the above, the spangly new 78,000m 120 bhp Multijet barely gets 46mpg due to the rather cynical attempt to get emissions down by adding a DPF but making the final ratio higher so the low engine revs at speed dont block the DPF every five minutes. It currently has a blanked off EGR leaving the OBD stating proudly that there is an 'engine failure'. The EGR is fooped, the DPF is ok.

It too handles like a tupperware box in a gale but due to the higher ride height, it now behaves like a tupperware box in a gale plus a north sea storm...

So. I have a budget of about £2k, the car will have paid for itself after about 6 months but what car?

I have a fair bit of tools and 'stuff' to carry so a bigish boot is a must.

Have been considering chain driven Mondeo MK4 diesels (I once left the oil unchanged for 18 months without issue). They are comfortable to drive, I know them inside out but a few niggles put me off. Injectors, sticky rear calipers etc.

Have also been looking at Mercedes W210 E300 TD and E320 CDI. Comfortable and pretty economical for a big car. Already knew about the spot welded front suspension turrets failing and general rust but anything else?

Skoda Octavia and other VAG 1.9 TDI stuff. Cambelts and water pumps are an absolute must but I also found the turbos are not very long lived.

Older Audi A4 or even an Audi 80 TDI would be right up my street but they are rare now.

A few leftfield thoughts have been a Chrysler Voyager - tough American running gear with reasonable mpg and loads of room for bikes too.

Fiat Multipla, the Doblos' odder, slightly wackier brother.

All Volvos seem to have done intergalatic mileage at my budget and are not that economical unless you look at the V40 petrol/diesel.

Over to you then.

Have fun with it too. LPG? have thought of that too.

:p

2k should easily see you a good mileage 10 year oldish Volvo.

Suppose the area is Key too.

What kind of age are you looking for?

Bit over budget for a good example LGF, but it won't be long before someone pops up and mentions the Audi A2 TDI

Oh look, some just did

You would need to have a seriously light foot to get even 40mpg on a run in the diesel Merc, but a few LPG converted behemoths around for your money that would do better. I would love to get another E Class. Audi A2 is a bit peedie for the brief, but perhaps smaller cars with boxy shapes might work. Would it be an option to look at something leased?

I'd be keeping well clear of Ford diesels with dual-mass flywheels - it's not if they go, it's when.

Possibly too old for you, but Pug 406 estate? or Citroen Xantia? 1.9TD versions are nippy enough, 2.1TDs are even better, and the pre-HDi engines will normally run on veg.

In the meantime, you definitely shouldn't* remove the DPF from the Doblo because despite being an MOT fail, there's no way they can actually tell whether it's there or not.

Koupe":2qchzpgg said:
I'd be keeping well clear of Ford diesels with dual-mass flywheels - it's not if they go, it's when.

Possibly too old for you, but Pug 406 estate? or Citroen Xantia? 1.9TD versions are nippy enough, 2.1TDs are even better, and the pre-HDi engines will normally run on veg.

In the meantime, you definitely shouldn't* remove the DPF from the Doblo because despite being an MOT fail, there's no way they can actually tell whether it's there or not.

"check engine" light being on/not working is an MOT fail now (as I found out to my cost last year)...

If you have a friendly MOT place they might plug in their computer thingie and switch it off for the duration though ;)

I'm also looking for a car at the moment (unless I get a 3-seat van in the near future!) and also need something roomy as the wife will be using it for stock runs to the sweetie wholesalers.

Looking at possibly a VW Passat myself or maybe another Vectra/Insignia, though I am leaning toward the former as I remember having some serious issues with a previous Vectra.

I hate Doblos with a passion though - had one as a company van a few years back and it was crap! (the Kangoo I have now is actually pretty OK, it does about 40 to the gallon driving mostly around town and isn't bad to drive either - just not practical for non-work activities)

Check engine isn't a fail at present, air bag, abs, tyre pressure monitoring and brake fluid lights are a fail.

Personally I would buy a 2000ish Volvo v70 d5, bomb proof things

Unfortunately no matter what buy they all have issues

2.0tdci (jaguar xtype, mondeo) have turbo faults, injector issues and generally a pail to maintain,
1.6 diesel (ford focus, Peugeot, Citroen, Volvo) all use this engine, oil sump design fault don't touch at all.

What ever you buy will have bit mileage on, and will need work as long as you expect that and your garage is well priced then all should be fine

With the money you have I bought a vectra c elite 1.9cdti and has been perfect for the last 3years, I dont drive like a granny and still get 50mpg

Good luck you hunt, if you local to Basingstoke give my a shout more then happy to check any possible purchases out

Again, thanks

As for the Doblo - what was the issues? We've had an early one for four years and its only broken down twice in 90,000 miles where we had to get external assistance.

The later one I would tread very carefully around if I were to buy one - apparently the 105bhp version doesnt have the DPF.

The current shape has DPF issues for the fleet users (post office) and premature bush wear on the front suspension.

As for Vectras, I dont know. I work 'in the trade' (out on the periphery) and hear a lot about them. I think I would stick with the 8v diesels. I did rather like my 1.6 16v Mk1 though, knowing that I shouldnt have...

Back