Paper Helmets

I remember this being covered by a TV program a while back, when they examined the woodpecker (mentioned in the article) and how it absorbed the impact, and then applied the same principle to bike helmets amongst other things.

It's a great idea though, and it looks as if the results speak for themselves. I'm not sure how much they would weigh compared to a standard cycle helmet, but then again I wouldn't really give two s**ts about the weight if it meant that I had more of a chance of surviving intact after a crash, although there are those who will always go for the lightweight option regardless of logic, personal safety and common sense getting in the way :roll:

Barneyballbags":2r7hdigx said:
although there are those who will always go for the lightweight option regardless of logic, personal safety and common sense getting in the way :roll:
The lightweight option is not to wear one at all.

Paper, bubblewrap, polystyrene, makes no difference. Helmets are for helmets..

it's funny I thought helmets weren't for helmets. Quite the opposite in fact, as being one meant you didn't need one :roll:

There is no mention of how it performs when it is wet, or when it has been wet. Cardboard draws in moisture, boxes that have been kept in a garage or shed lose all their integrity.

I could see it being a good disposable helmet to give out with hire bikes, but no more than that.

Back