Government E petitions

KDM

Senior Retro Guru
Recently the media crying out for "Sir" Andy Murray reminded me of the short justification today required for a knighthood, Wiggins is another example.

It seems decades of community and work is often ignored over instantanious now and gone tommorow celebrity. I questioned who of those I had admired for a long time, the contribution they had made to their field and who deserved a knighthood.

One name kept coming up so I put forward using the Government e petition the suggestion given his half century plus contribution towards his craft, Murray Walker. A man more than any other of late who deserves a knighthood.

So the petition was posted and then I waited to see it shown so I could start to put the link around only to receive two days later information that the petition has been rejected based on one or more of the following;

E-petitions cannot be used to request action on issues that are outside the responsibility of the government. This includes:
•party political material
•commercial endorsements including the promotion of any product, service or publication
•issues that are dealt with by devolved bodies, eg The Scottish Parliament
•correspondence on personal issues

Now Murray, I or the petition had none of the above so I wonder if they are auto refused or someone actually reads them.

I am puzzled?

Funny that. I hadn't even started reading the second paragraph when I thought "feck Andy Murray and Wiggins, what about Murray Walker?"

Pretty sure it was read and rejected by some tree-hugging nephew of some politician who had only gotten that job because he wasn't fit for anything decent.

Then again, I'm not sure if knighthood is enough to honour a man like Murray Walker. IMO he should get a statue that overlooks his favourite race track.

Was just thinking though, it is easy to say that Wiggo and Murray are just one hit wonders, but both ARE lifetime achievers, both have had to work damn hard without any spotlight to get to their goals, if both of them had been televised from kids training and struggling to achieve each goal at each stage of their lives and then were seen achieving the ultimate dream then maybe you'd say for all that struggle they do deserve the recognition of a knighthood. I do agree give Murray walker one but just because his lifetime achievement, and an admirable one it is, was all audible from the start of is career and all he needed to do was be a fantastic commentator, and I bet he was a talkative chap as a kid without much effort. But physical sport is different all the real hard work is behind the scenes and all you see is the best, at it's peak, which is short lived before they are relegated to the veterans section.

Alison

why should someone who does what they do for their own benefit get given a knighthood? it seems these days that these awards are given out to anyone has more than five minutes of fame....who's next on the list for an honor? the blonde bird off big brother? or the guy who sings on the go compare adverts?
if murry had brokered a peace deal in the middle east, found a cure for cancer or sorted out the global warming issue, then yeah ok I go along with it, but he plays tennis, thats his choice and he gets paids a lot of money for it, a damn site more than the guys on the front line, a hell of a lot more than those who patch up the injured on a saturday night in the local hospital
screw murry and the chinless tosser who suggested it,

alanf":3i6cmw1b said:
why should someone who does what they do for their own benefit get given a knighthood? it seems these days that these awards are given out to anyone has more than five minutes of fame....who's next on the list for an honor? the blonde bird off big brother? or the guy who sings on the go compare adverts?
if murry had brokered a peace deal in the middle east, found a cure for cancer or sorted out the global warming issue, then yeah ok I go along with it, but he plays tennis, thats his choice and he gets paids a lot of money for it, a damn site more than the guys on the front line, a hell of a lot more than those who patch up the injured on a saturday night in the local hospital
screw murry and the chinless tosser who suggested it,

If you gave everyone who had done something to society a knighthood practically every parent would get one, they are given out to many people, so are many other queens awards, my mum ran a holiday home for underprivileged children from the 70's to the 90's then a homeless project, she should get a knighthood, if they gave it to women, but the point is it's lifetime achievement award, now I'm thinking myself out of this because I'm thinking yeah my mum did that and got nothing, yet if your on the telly you get everything :oops:

Patricia Wood for OBE yeah!! and me because I helped with the younger, the frightened, especially those who wet the bed and were too scared to tell my mum because of what they were used to. An OBE for Alison too, yeah

Alison

:roll: Government e-petitions are crap anyhow.

100,000 emails and we they may just be bothered to talk about it! :shock:

Andy Murray has done a huge amount for British sport in his achievements. I am not into all the honours crap, but if anyone deserves one he certainly does!

Back