Nearly there....

Re:

Thank you all once again for your messages.

Following my 1st Chemotherapy cycle last Thursday 16th, I initially felt a bit under the weather for a few days, although somewhat better as each each day passed. Wadsy and Al-onestare have both been here to see me; in fact both help out with my Hospital appointments :) . Al drove me to the WBCH on the Saturday for my Chemo Pump to be removed, and sat in with me. Then Wadsy took me along there and sat in with me on Tuesday while my PICC Line was flushed and dressing changed.

I have blood out of the PICC Line on Tuesday at the WBCH, then up to RBH on Wednesday for Oncology Clinic, and then Chemo cycle number 2 is the next day at RBH. I have to make the decision whether to add the extra Targeting drug Cetuximab, and let them know on Wednesday, so it can be order. If I do go for it, then each of the Chemo cycles will have to be done at the RBH, which although is only 20 miles away, is absolute arse to get to in the morning. I walked to Thatcham Station and caught the train for my 1st cycle to make sure I got there in time, but that may not be an option as the side effects build over time.

In other news, I mentioned earlier that I have previously done a whole lot of Rock 'n' Roll stuff in my time. In this month's extra edition of Classic Rock magazine called "The Story of Metal", there is a full page picture of me that was taken at an early Iron Maiden gig. This particular feature is explaining the explosion of the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal. Just like the Punk movement, it was so exciting to witness, although at the time we were obviously not aware of the influence that these British bands would have on the Rock and Metal music scene. I'll scan the page or take a picture when the sun comes out, and pop it on here.

Meanwhile here is the cover - the magazine is mega expensive, and the feature on the NWOBHM starts on page 66...... The Explosion: The New Wave - redefined and uncontainable.

Pip

Attachments

• Pip Lyceum Flying V mag s.jpg
    Pip Lyceum Flying V mag s.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 475
Re:

Sadly this new magazine has sourced the picture from archive file, and in the passing of 40 years, the magazine feature writer Phil Wilding has mixed up its origin. The caption in the new magazine documents the wrong venue, the incorrect date and a different guy who was also on the scene at the time. He famously used to take a Plywood cut-out Flying V to Neil Kay’s Bandwagon Heavy Metal Soundhouse in Kingsbury Circus North London – this was shown on a BBC Documentary on the NWOBHM. At the time, it was upping the ante of Air Guitar playing, and it inspired me to take things a little further.

I took my real Flying V guitar to a gig, and I was photographed in the crowd. It was Sunday 10th Feb 1980 at the Lyceum in London. There were regular gigs at the Lyceum on a Sunday, and a promoter would put on a concert of 3-5 bands on the scene at the time to make a viable booking. Angel Witch, Tiger of Pang Tang, Samson, Girlschool, Saxon, Raven….. etc.

This particular gig was Iron Maiden, Praying Mantis and Diamond Head, and was the largest venue that Maiden had headlined at the time. They were really stoked at the gig, as they had just been signed by EMI. Anyway, one of the pictures that was taken of me on the night ended up in Sounds broadsheet paper the following week with an interview feature on Maiden. It was Iron Maiden’s first ever cover shot in Sounds.

Pip Lyceum Flying V ticket by Philip Mock, on Flickr

The picture is on Getty Images, where at least they have documented the correct gig.

Getty

It did pop up in Q magazine in about 2001, and Q asked if anyone knew the whereabouts of the guy (me) in the picture. I wrote to Q at the time with snail mail, but it would appear that the correct subject of the picture was never correctly identified. I assume that Sounds may have the paper in their archives. The text under the picture in Sounds read; “Imaginary guitar posing goes one stop beyond; note Maiden fan with real guitar”

Out of all the pictures taken during that period of bands and stuff, I’m staggered that 40 years later Classic Rock / Phil Wilding chose this one of me for the feature to help represent the movement ….. It also seems odd that I wasn’t wearing Dunlop green flash, but check out that waistcoat and those flares!

Pip Lyceum Flying V mag_1 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip

Re:

Dude, as heart wrenching as this is, the rock lesson is amazing, I've loved iron maiden for a very long time, small world, and if you do decide to pop oooop north, I'm only this side of the humber bridge and a brew and pasty would be great, like some have said, there is a load of daft retrobikers around here for a yarn. Keep posting dude.

Chris

Re: Re:

pipmeister":9wx14hvi said:
Sadly this new magazine has sourced the picture from archive file, and in the passing of 40 years, the magazine feature writer Phil Wilding has mixed up its origin. The caption in the new magazine documents the wrong venue, the incorrect date and a different guy who was also on the scene at the time. He famously used to take a Plywood cut-out Flying V to Neil Kay’s Bandwagon Heavy Metal Soundhouse in Kingsbury Circus North London – this was shown on a BBC Documentary on the NWOBHM. At the time, it was upping the ante of Air Guitar playing, and it inspired me to take things a little further.

I took my real Flying V guitar to a gig, and I was photographed in the crowd. It was Sunday 10th Feb 1980 at the Lyceum in London. There were regular gigs at the Lyceum on a Sunday, and a promoter would put on a concert of 3-5 bands on the scene at the time to make a viable booking. Angel Witch, Tiger of Pang Tang, Samson, Girlschool, Saxon, Raven….. etc.

This particular gig was Iron Maiden, Praying Mantis and Diamond Head, and was the largest venue that Maiden had headlined at the time. They were really stoked at the gig, as they had just been signed by EMI. Anyway, one of the pictures that was taken of me on the night ended up in Sounds broadsheet paper the following week with an interview feature on Maiden. It was Iron Maiden’s first ever cover shot in Sounds.

Pip Lyceum Flying V ticket by Philip Mock, on Flickr

The picture is on Getty Images, where at least they have documented the correct gig.

Getty

It did pop up in Q magazine in about 2001, and Q asked if anyone knew the whereabouts of the guy (me) in the picture. I wrote to Q at the time with snail mail, but it would appear that the correct subject of the picture was never correctly identified. I assume that Sounds may have the paper in their archives. The text under the picture in Sounds read; “Imaginary guitar posing goes one stop beyond; note Maiden fan with real guitar”

Out of all the pictures taken during that period of bands and stuff, I’m staggered that 40 years later Classic Rock / Phil Wilding chose this one of me for the feature to help represent the movement ….. It also seems odd that I wasn’t wearing Dunlop green flash, but check out that waistcoat and those flares!

Pip Lyceum Flying V mag_1 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip

Too cool for skool!

Re:

Thanks again you lot, and cheers THM; I didn't realise that the gig had been recorded, all be it as a bootleg. I will say that I like Iron Maiden a great deal, but there are other bands that do more for me. We mainly went to see Diamond Head that night, who we got to know and hang out with a bit. I can remember this younger lad who was also trying to get in with Diamond Head at the time. I recall saying back stage at (I think) the Brunell Rooms in Swindon; who's that little kid with the weird accent. It turned out to be Lars Ulrich, who is 5 years younger than me!

Anyway, I thought that I would share a few more Rock 'n' Roll snaps that are a little more recent.

My Marshall / Laney stack, that was so load, it would make your clothes move around on your body :shock: :

Pip stack by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Me and my best mate Karl being slightly out of place at a wedding :cool: :

Karl Pip @ Wedding by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Me and another good mate Kate at a slightly more Rock 'n' Roll registry office wedding - crikey, fag in hand :oops: :

Pip Kate 9# by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Me at the Dynamo Festival in Eindhoven in Holland - first thing in the morning. I think that was about a long as my hair got:

Dynamo 98 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

My Chopper outside The Clocktower Inn (The Clocky) where I virtually lived for 30 years. For a while I lived in a flat above next door to it :facepalm: .

Kawasaki Z1000 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Me in the Clocky. Not sure why I'm 2 foot taller than everyone else - I guess I was stood on a stool or something:

PhotoClocky1 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Me and Kate again - obviously we were never boyfriend and girlfriend ;) - This was Reading Festival 1992, when EMF played on the Saturday afternoon, and Nirvana headlined the Sunday night:

Q as F 93 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Me chilling out on holiday in Little Haven down in Pembrokeshire:

PipLittleHavenAvatar by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip

Back