Nearly there....

Great news, glad to see you are rolling again!
I used to make my chemo team roll their eyes just before the dose was infused when they asked me how I was, I would tell them that I had ridden 30 miles the day before.

If you are struggling with reach let me know and I will post you a set of On-One Mary bars.

pipmeister":1hg2x4l9 said:
I'm not sure however if the average RB member will be able to stomach (see what I did there?) those pictures :shock: ...... perhaps they would like to let us know on here :?

Speaking for myself, I am very happy indeed that the techniques are available to fix you up like that but would selfishly prefer that the contents of my own stomach remained neatly contained rather than all over my keyboard (which I have just cleaned!)

I cannot stand the sight of any injuries whether to myself, others or even animals - I have had one or two fairly nasty ones myself over the years (clearly nothing like yours, but partially severed fingers are as bad as I ever hope to see!)

When I was being discharged from hospital, I told the nurse I felt a bit guilty as I was alive and not feeling too bad. The nurse looked me in the eyes and said 'you arrested twice, most people dont come back from the first one'.

<gulp!>

Now I try to live each day a little bettererer

legrandefromage":yah0tx4w said:
When I was being discharged from hospital, I told the nurse I felt a bit guilty as I was alive and not feeling too bad. The nurse looked me in the eyes and said 'you arrested twice, most people dont come back from the first one'.

<gulp!>

Now I try to live each day a little bettererer
Not having actually met you LGF, I must say that you look like a robust sort of chap judging by the pictures that I have seen of you on here - and you can certainly ride a bike. May I ask what was the cause of your arrest. Send me a P.M. if you prefer not to share it on here.

Pip.

Re:

Rightyho, a quick update regarding my recovery.

I had my post-op meeting with Colorectal Surgery on Friday at the RBH. They were pleased when I explained my current progress, and happy with what they saw when they examined me. I did tell them that I can walk a fair distance now, and cycle a bit too. They were very quick to point out that I should still be taking it easy, and that I need to remember that it is only 8 weeks since major Surgery. Okaaaaay, probably best not to mention that I have cycled 12 miles in one hit, and that when I leave the meeting, I am going to Malvern to cycle on the Hills for a week :oops: :facepalm: .

They signed a Sick Note for a further 2 weeks, and discharged me. It looks like I will probably return to work after the August Bank Holiday weekend.

Anyway, here is a link to Today's Ride on them there Hills.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=303296&start=2080

Pip.

Edit: Typo - using a P.C. with no spellcheck!

Re:

I have been struggling with the decision whether to add this grim news to this post, and I have decided that it should be shared with you lot.

A few members on here already know this development, but I strongly suggest that the rest of you click on another thread now if you’ve had a bad day, as it does not make for pleasant reading.

Everything had been going so well following my Colostomy Reversal last June. I was riding with the ability that match my fitness I had from before Surgery for Bowel Cancer November 2017. Then I had a routine blood test in September, and there was slight concern with an elevated Carcinoembryonic Antigen result. I was told I would need another test a month later, which sadly came back as elevated further, so a C.T. Scan was arranged. This revealed that the Cancer had returned and metastasized to my Liver.

Following a Multidisciplinary Team Meeting, the initial plan was to commence Chemotherapy with a view to reducing the legion that had been seen on the edge of my Liver, and then Resection of the Liver after that. This would only be possible if the Cancer had only spread as far as had been seen on the C.T. Scan.

With this in mind, I was sent for a PET Scan in December, which gives a far better view of Cancer in the body. Sadly the result did not fit the initial plan. I had a meeting with Oncology 16th December, which was like nothing I had experience before. I went in thinking that I was to have Chemo to reduce the Cancer, then Surgery to cut it out. Within a few minutes, my Consultant Oncologist turned the meeting on its head.

She told me there are 3 different legions in the Liver, as well as at the back of the Abdomen near the Spine and probably Paratracheal lymph nodes. She then said the Cancer is too deep to consider Surgery, so I will not be having the planned resection on the Liver. I was then told that I can have Palliative Chemotherapy to extend quality of life, but the diagnosis is terminal.

I went into some sort of fixed trance as I continued to listen intently to every word she now said. If I chose not to have Chemotherapy, she said I would be aware of symptoms caused by the Cancer by the Summer. If I chose Palliative Chemo, she could not give me a prognosis of survival until we see if the treatment has any effect on the Cancer.

I have chosen the Chemo option, but it is really complex to explain quickly. Needless to say, I will suffer all the normal side-effects of Chemotherapy. I had my PICC Line fitted today at the RBH, then straight to the Chemo ward for the first cycle. I am sitting here typing this with a Chemo pump attached to my PICC Line, and this stays on for 48 hours. I will try to stick it out for 3 months, when they will review the situation. If it is having little effect on the Cancer, they will recommend stopping the treatment. If it is holding back the Cancer (albeit temporarily) they will suggest I continue for another 3 months. I can stop at any time if it all gets too grim to cope with.

I do understand that it is difficult to respond to a message like this, so I’m sorry to add this post.

Pip.

Arse biscuits, cancer really is an utter <insert own preferred expletive>.

Sending positive thoughts to you and your family. If there’s anything the random rabble that is Retrobike can do, please ask.

Back