Caramba - What is it?

cyclotoine

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
What is this thing? Looks like a bike part? My guess is that is for brakes somehow.

IMG_6025.jpg

Yeah the weird thing though is that the holes in both ends are just holes and you'd need a step down ferrule to have the housing on either end. And both holes are different. I wonder if it originally has a proprietary noodle and ferrule with it. It' must be for V-brakes. I don't see how it could be used with cantilevers. lastly. The cable actually gets clamped. The bolt in the disc piece loosens and there is a pinch point, which makes sense because it is massively eccentric and that would be the only way to stop the cable from just sliding on it. I think it would be a major PITA to set up, would love to see a photo of this part on a brake though.

If it's got an eccentric profile it's definitely for using canti levers with v brakes.
And yes, there will be all sorts of ferrules and odd bits, so you can use it either way round or fit it to any number of different models of lever/brake.

Apparently it is for cantilever? It looks very similar to this unit found on sheldon brown's site... weird.. too bad it won't work on an MTB!

canti-v.gif

cyclotoine":eytih6xc said:
weird.. too bad it won't work on an MTB!
Erm. Yes it will. As I've already said, it's a pull ratio adaptor. Allows v-brake levers to work a cantilever brake, or, if you reverse it, it'll allow a cantilever lever to work a v-brake.

The current ones are called travel agents.

http://www.jensonusa.com/!4N7UpIq8UHGA! ... avel-Agent

Either that, or it's a booster of some type, like servo wave on the old shimano v brake levers.

mattr":2pym3w9q said:
cyclotoine":2pym3w9q said:
weird.. too bad it won't work on an MTB!
Erm. Yes it will. As I've already said, it's a pull ratio adaptor. Allows v-brake levers to work a cantilever brake, or, if you reverse it, it'll allow a cantilever lever to work a v-brake.

The current ones are called travel agents.

http://www.jensonusa.com/!4N7UpIq8UHGA! ... avel-Agent

Either that, or it's a booster of some type, like servo wave on the old shimano v brake levers.

I mean, it will not work in the application pictured above as the tire would interfere with the cable.

I am not sure how this thing would affix onto a V-brake, It doesn't appear to be designed for that.

cce":10au75p5 said:
there's an extra bit to them that allows them to replace the noodle

Yes, but the travel agent above is a different beast entirely. I am talking about the part pictured in the OP. It is not the same thing.

Back