ORANGE ALUMINIUM PROTOTYPE, ICEMANS O PROJECT..

Cheshire1980

Orange 🍊 Fan
Having recently been inspired by Sinnerman's Orange Formula, and Regan's Yeti build. I have decided its time to get this Aluminium O project started. Its taken several years to get the required parts for this. Ensuring that I get this build as close as what is pictured below. The Aluminium O pictured with the Prototype decal, was tested in the Mountain Biker May 1991 Magazine. Which donned the uber rare Custom Orange Stalk bar Combination. These are made from aircraft grade cro-moly, welded to a prestige bar, length being 120mm reach and 90 degree rise.
Thankfully after much searching and collecting I have a very early frame, 1st batch, Frame number A91020125, pictured, which will have the right cable guides to fit in with Mountain biker tested one. Additionally I have a custom Stalk bar in white, which will obviously need to be sprayed in black. So these 2 elements are key for this project.

Attachments

• IMG_4603.JPG
    IMG_4603.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,749
  • IMG_4599.JPG
    IMG_4599.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,749
  • IMG_4600.JPG
    IMG_4600.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,751
  • IMG_4583.JPG
    IMG_4583.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,750
  • IMG_4586.JPG
    IMG_4586.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,750
  • IMG_4588.JPG
    IMG_4588.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,750
  • IMG_4585.JPG
    IMG_4585.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,750
  • IMG_4597.JPG
    IMG_4597.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,750
Re:

"O" yes!!!

Absolutely suberb project. That ‘prototype’ article was the Go to image for those that were eagerly awaiting for the "O” to arrive...well that and the ‘91 brochure that also showed the "O" in orange and white - with black XT chainset and Canti’s. It also had 2 pics of the mythical ‘wishbone’ formula in black. My original "O" wasn’t available in orange/ white or Silver so my 2nd batch frame was one of the 1st 6 frames in black. Naturally, inspired by the Formula- I specced the same custom stalk in black.

Looking forward to seeing how this works out Calum. Naturally- any advice/ help - just PM. :D

Go the " :cool: "!!

boy"O"boy

Re: THE EARLY ORANGE ALUMINIUM O'S. PROJECT BUILD BEGINS.

Several years and several old frames later, I have managed to get the right combination. Firstly, I got the Stalk 1 piece bar off the Icemans O, pictured below, very faded, with no actual frame number to note, so possibly an ex sponsored rider. However this frame is too small for me being a 17inch frame :facepalm: . And the one pictured in Mountain biker magazine is a 19inch. So no good, but the one piece bar that came with it is perfect. :D
The 19 inch framed aluminium O in Matt grey is from the second batch of O's, frame number A10602252, with similar cable guides, but unfortunately has many cracks around the seat tube, so know good for this project, however the forks are sound and will be swapped for the Rockshoxs!
And the last one pictured, in the matt grey, is another 17inch one, bought off the original owner who had unfortunately left it outside for many years, totally seized at present, frame number A91020025, so another first batch, so very early, but still a no go given its the wrong size, but equally a few of the parts may be useful for this project.

Attachments

• IMG_4591.JPG
    IMG_4591.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,746
  • IMG_4589.JPG
    IMG_4589.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,745
  • IMG_4590.JPG
    IMG_4590.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,744
  • IMG_4592.JPG
    IMG_4592.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,746
  • IMG_4594.JPG
    IMG_4594.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,746
  • IMG_4595.JPG
    IMG_4595.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,745
Re: Re:

Thanks Ben. Having a total of 8 Aluminium O frames :facepalm: , 2 in which are built bikes, thought it was time to build the ultimate one. Remember lusting after the Mountain Biker tested one, eating my cornflakes as a teen and wishing I owned this mythical bike!

boy"O"boy":1g5p4h4w said:
"O" yes!!!

Absolutely suberb project. That ‘prototype’ article was the Go to image for those that were eagerly awaiting for the "O” to arrive...well that and the ‘91 brochure that also showed the "O" in orange and white - with black XT chainset and Canti’s. It also had 2 pics of the mythical ‘wishbone’ formula in black. My original "O" wasn’t available in orange/ white or Silver so my 2nd batch frame was one of the 1st 6 frames in black. Naturally, inspired by the Formula- I specced the same custom stalk in black.

Looking forward to seeing how this works out Calum. Naturally- any advice/ help - just PM. :D

Go the " :cool: "!!

boy"O"boy

Re: SOME THE EARLIEST ORANGE ALUMINIUM O'S. BUILD HAS STARTED.

Nice looking project, what are your plans for the paint?

btw, you are missing the first image, the bracket on the first tag is missing.

Re: Re:

Thanks Ed, always had intentions of doing this, but just needed the right frame. Getting a first batch O, proved difficult.

brocklanders023":mi368aw2 said:
There's an awful lot of win in this thread. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Re: SOME THE EARLIEST ORANGE ALUMINIUM O'S. BUILD HAS STARTED.

Thanks Mk one.

The plan is to get it sprayed, probably Argos cycles Bristol, as I was extremely impressed with the Formula Sinnerman had done there recently, plus its fairly local to me :cool: . Additionally, I would like the frame to be sprayed orange white fade, with the same decals as pictured in the Mountain biker review. Both could be costly :facepalm: , but well worth doing it right, particularly as I have the ideal frame and parts required to do a complete replica.

mk one said:
Nice looking project, what are your plans for the paint?

Re:

Some more info on the Stalk bar combo. Article from MBUK July 1991

Attachments

• IMG_4607.JPG
    IMG_4607.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,643
  • IMG_4608.JPG
    IMG_4608.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 1,643
Re:

I have one of those aluminium stems so it's great to get it dated properly.

Are you going skinny forks on the build Calum? I had a Clockwork once with the Prototype decal so will see if I can find some pics if you want? They may still be on here?

Back