1988 Off-Road Toad (Updated Pics page 8)

Re: 1988 Off-Road Toad

Well Roy, it would seem that the seller, an old friend of mine was confused. He had told me the fork was tig welded. They were custom made for the frame by a Vancouver builder in the Toad circle of welders. I hadn't seen the bike in over twenty years, and was buying it out of town based on blurry pictures. Bottom line is that when I finally got the bike I immediately realized the fork is actually fillet brazed, which rather heavily suggests Derek Bailey on the torch. But I have yet to confirm this theory. Strangely, the fork only ever had a coat of black primer on it, and has suffered some pretty serious rust damage, especially near the dropouts. I seem to remember the forks were ordered after the frame by my friend, and I think he had planned to have them painted to match the frame, but never got around to it.

I still want to find out for certain who the welder was for this Toad, if at all possible. Serial number is 763. There may be other numbers under the paint but I haven't found any yet. Got some pretty bad paint bubbles on the frame, and lots of rust spots to 'cauterize'. I am reasonably confident I can get away with keeping the original paint, and not starting over from scratch. The fork will need to be painted though, no getting around that...

If you put in half the effort on this rebuild as you did on your DBM, it will come out an absolute winner.

Looking forward to the end result!

Thanks Rumpfy! I just took the time to go over the frame very carefully and inspected the rust bubbles. It wasn't nearly as bad as I had feared. Some of what I thought might be rust under the paint looks to be just a bit of a sloppy paint job, with some small globs and runs! The only real rust damage was to the fork dropouts, where there is distinct corrosion. But still lots of meat left. Just difficult to make out what kind they are (I think Shimano); if there was any lettering there it has been eaten away. But as long as the rusting has been halted, I am good to go!

Re:

The blue does give it that poisonous vibe right? But I think that only holds true for frogs!...

Back